PDA

View Full Version : Odorless MS

Fred Belknap
12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I need some mineral spirits. At the local store that I usually but things like that they only have the odorless type. I was wondering if there was a difference other than the smell? I feel that it probably has something to do with the VOC content.

Matt Hutchinson
12-02-2011, 4:38 PM
As far as I know there isn't any difference in functionality. I have been using odorless for years, and I haven't noticed any oddities or changes from the stinky stuff.

-Hutch

Roger Chandler
12-02-2011, 4:44 PM
Ordorless is all I use...........works for me.

Fred Belknap
12-02-2011, 5:29 PM
Thanks guys I got a can of the odorless today. I guess the regular is no longer available. I guess there is a reason but it escapes me, maybe just the smell.:o

Marty Eargle
12-02-2011, 6:03 PM
I've been using Klean-Strip odorless and natural MS for a while now and it works well. No smell and I don't have to worry too much about the the hounds getting into it.

David DeCristoforo
12-02-2011, 6:54 PM
Just remember that the fumes from "odorless" mineral spirits are just as toxic as the stinky kind!

Rick Markham
12-02-2011, 7:22 PM
Odorless mineral spirits? Stinky Maple??? What's the world coming to? Hopefully Odorless Maple will be available soon!

James Combs
12-02-2011, 7:28 PM
I ran out of MS a couple months back and when I went to the borg to get more they were out. I was looking for a substitute and noticed that the Klean-Strip paint thinner indicated on the label that it was made from MS so I got it. It seems to smell and function very similar to MS, I wonder what the difference is other then packaging and price?

Rick Markham
12-02-2011, 7:37 PM
I ran out of MS a couple months back and when I went to the borg to get more they were out. I was looking for a substitute and noticed that the Klean-Strip paint thinner indicated on the label that it was made from MS so I got it. It seems to smell and function very similar to MS, I wonder what the difference is other then packaging and price?

James, if you look the product up online it has to have a MSDS in which all the ingredients have to be listed etc. Probably the best way to find out for sure :)