PDA

View Full Version : Making tool handles and buying chisels

Brent Dorner
12-01-2011, 9:04 AM
I see people making their own handles for their lathe chisels, I will probably want to take a stab at it down the road. I am wondering where to buy the lathe chisel without a handle, I assume this is what people do but don't know where to buy just the steel. Any help is appreciated.

Tony De Masi
12-01-2011, 9:07 AM
There are several places to buy but I'll just mention a few of my favorites. Craft Supplies USA, Packard Woodworks, and Doug Thompson. You can find all of them through an internet search. My FAVORITE is Doug Thompson's tools. Also, if you are unsure of the process he has a tutorial on his website on how to make the handles.

Good luck.

Prashun Patel
12-01-2011, 9:27 AM
I have 3 Thompson tools. They are excellent tools and remarkable values.

Thom Sturgill
12-01-2011, 9:39 AM
Just to expand on Tony's a little - hopefully without starting a flame war:

There seems to be several 'tiers' of quality in gouges.On the lowest tiers pretty much everything has handles, these would range from the unnamed junk, Harbor Freight's better tools, Benjamin's Best (PSI and others), up through Crown, Sorby, Henry Taylor, etc. The latter portion of this list seems to have quite a bit of overlap in 'quality' when you combine metallurgy, polish, and design.

Once you get up into the top tiers they start coming un-handled, Partially I think, because by the time you are ready to invest in these brands you are more likely to either be wanting to make your own or are using removable handles. Again, their si considerable overlap and personal opinion as to perceived quality. These latter gouges include names like Thompson (also my favorites so far), P&N (Australian? - I have their detail gouge and love it), D-Way, and others. Many of these are bought direct from the manufacturer like Doug Thompson or Dave at D-Way, or through other on-line houses like Packard and CSUSA.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Hmmm. HF, Benjamins best, Sorby, Crown, Henry Taylor are lowest tiers? Yeah, you won't start a flame war..... What would you consider mid level?

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I have P & N gouges and Thompson gouges that were all unhandled. Thompson's are my go to tools and are reasonably priced.

Jim Burr
12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
D-way stuff is really good and comes handled or not

Todd Bin
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I think this months american woodturner did a whole article on various lathe tool handles.

Dan Forman
12-01-2011, 1:04 PM
I used to make my own handles, but since getting my first DWay gouge with an aluminum handle, I learned to appreciate the extra weight and stability of it. I suppose one could also fill a chamber of a wood handle with lead shot or something similar to add heft to it, but I sure like the way the DWay handle feels in use.

Dan

John Keeton
12-01-2011, 1:15 PM
Hmmm. HF, Benjamins best, Sorby, Crown, Henry Taylor are lowest tiers? Yeah, you won't start a flame war..... What would you consider mid level?Kyle, first of all, we aren't going to let another tool war ensue.:)

I would think the implication was simply that, aside from the PM (powder metallurgy) versions of some listed by Thom, most all of the first listings are M2 HSS. While one could debate whether there are differences, most of those will be close in metal quality.

The next big step is to Vanadium or M42 Cobalt steel as used by some of the next tier to which Thom referred. Much of the price difference in unhandled tools arises from the metal used, and the time invested in polish and various cryo or heat treats.

Thom Sturgill
12-01-2011, 8:44 PM
Kyle, first of all, we aren't going to let another tool war ensue.:)

I would think the implication was simply that, aside from the PM (powder metallurgy) versions of some listed by Thom, most all of the first listings are M2 HSS. While one could debate whether there are differences, most of those will be close in metal quality.

The next big step is to Vanadium or M42 Cobalt steel as used by some of the next tier to which Thom referred. Much of the price difference in unhandled tools arises from the metal used, and the time invested in polish and various cryo or heat treats.

Yes John, that was my intent. The first list would be all levels IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER (except possibly the first). Ranking within those vendors is mostly a matter of personal tastes. I merely wanted to point out, without getting into details, that most of those brands will come handled.

Thom Sturgill
12-01-2011, 8:50 PM
I used to make my own handles, but since getting my first DWay gouge with an aluminum handle, I learned to appreciate the extra weight and stability of it. I suppose one could also fill a chamber of a wood handle with lead shot or something similar to add heft to it, but I sure like the way the DWay handle feels in use.

Dan

This also is one of the points I was trying to make. There seems to be a progression as the vortex grabs you, that first you buy 'ready made', then customize your handles and eventually try weighted, or padded, or something handles in the search for the 'perfect tool'. After all, aren't we all (always) one tool away from mastery?

Jake Helmboldt
12-01-2011, 9:38 PM
I only have one Thompson, but I think they are probably the best value for the dollar. I haven't used a D-way and people like them, but you can get a new Thompson 15V 1/2" bowl gouge for the same price as the D-way 1/2" bowl gouge made out of hi-cobalt HSS. A standard 12V 1/2" gouge is $20 less. Can't beat that in my book.

David E Keller
12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I like Thompson's stuff, but most of the large retailers have a selection of unhandled tools. I'm all for making your own handles, but lately I find myself using the aftermarket handles more often. Again, I like the Thompson handles, but there are a number of makers with respectable handles... I like the heft in the metal handles and the fact that the tools can easily be removed for sharpening. There are a few places where you can buy inserts for homemade handles to allow for easy removal but the names escape me right now.

Clint Baxter
12-02-2011, 9:18 AM
I like Thompson's stuff, but most of the large retailers have a selection of unhandled tools. I'm all for making your own handles, but lately I find myself using the aftermarket handles more often. Again, I like the Thompson handles, but there are a number of makers with respectable handles... I like the heft in the metal handles and the fact that the tools can easily be removed for sharpening. There are a few places where you can buy inserts for homemade handles to allow for easy removal but the names escape me right now.

Oneway markets a Thread-lok that allows you to remove your tools for sharpening. Work fairly well and they offer templates for turning the spigot on the end of your handle. I've used them and like them best for gouges that closely fit the ferrule. They offer four different sizes, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 & 5/8. I got mine at Hartville Tool. They typically have the best prices I've found for the Oneway items to include the Talon and Stronghold chucks. Keep an eye on them and you'll often find the chucks, (and the jaws), on sale there.

Clint