PDA

View Full Version : From my archives...

Rick Castrios
03-07-2005, 4:20 PM
Here's a couple of bowls I made just about a year ago. I forgot that I had these photos on my hard drive and thought I would share them. Both of these were given away as gifts. The first bowl is a 11" x 7" segmented bowl with maple, cherry, walnut and purpleheart. The second bowl is black cherry ~6" x 2.5". Both bowls were finished with Tried and True varnish oil on the outside and mineral oil w/bees wax on the inside. I buffed the outside with pase wax.

Enjoy

Ernie Nyvall
03-07-2005, 4:54 PM
Those are some nice bowls. I like the mix of wood in the segmented bowl and I really like the shape of the cherry.
Ernie Nyvall

Jeff Sudmeier
03-07-2005, 5:02 PM
I really like the segmented bowl, especially the purple heart in the center of it! It looks great. Is the center thin stripe just a thin segment?

David Fried
03-07-2005, 5:13 PM
The page came up showing just a small strip of the first bowl at the bottom of the screen. My first thought was "What horrible pixilation in that digital photo!". Then I scrolled down and saw it was a segmented bowl. LOL.

It's the second bowl that I have an uncontrollable urge to hold and see what that profile feels like. (That's a compliment!) VERY NICE.

Glenn Hodges
03-07-2005, 6:29 PM
I like 'um both, patularly the lines of the cherry. Thanks for sharring them with us.

John Shuk
03-07-2005, 10:30 PM
I like the segmented and absolutley love the cherry. Looks kind of like an old style chamber pot but I wouldn't think of using it for that!

Lou Morrissette
03-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Great looking bowls, Rick. Makes me want to take the plunge with the spinny thing.

Lou

Rick Castrios
03-08-2005, 8:21 AM
I really like the segmented bowl, especially the purple heart in the center of it! It looks great. Is the center thin stripe just a thin segment?
Thanks Jeff! The purple heart is a segmented layer. The bowl thickness ended up between 1/4 and 3/8. The bowl steady came in real handy for this one.

Rick

Rick Castrios
03-08-2005, 8:25 AM
The page came up showing just a small strip of the first bowl at the bottom of the screen. My first thought was "What horrible pixilation in that digital photo!". Then I scrolled down and saw it was a segmented bowl. LOL.

It's the second bowl that I have an uncontrollable urge to hold and see what that profile feels like. (That's a compliment!) VERY NICE.
Thanks everyone for the comments on the bowls! I missed the cherry bowl after I gave it away to some friends. Fortunately I do get to visit it every once in a while. It has darkened very nicely over the last year and the figure in the grain just keeps getting better.

Rick