PDA

View Full Version : Holiday party presents

Richard Allen
12-01-2011, 8:27 AM
The zebrawood platter is 15" across and will be donated to the woodturning club I belong to (CAW) for a door prize at the December party this Saturday. We are a club of makers and yet for years the club has bought door prizes. A bag of sandpaper or a can of finish... Yet I would rather have a bottle stopper made by a club member than a bag of sandpaper. This year I have encouraged club members to donate a turning as door prizes. So far we have 6 turnings as door prizes. I suspect that we will have a few more brought to the party.

The big leaf maple burl lidded bowl is 5" across and 6" high. The bowl has three feet and the lid has a handle carved into the top. The club I belong to has a gift exchange at the December party each year and this is my contribution to that exchange.

These are quick and dirty pictures. Apologies for the background, color, hot spots and lack of depth of field.

C&C welcomed

Harvey Ghesser
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Beautiful work, Richard!

Michelle Rich
12-01-2011, 11:22 AM
nice! hope it goes well & have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Beautiful Richard. Love the platter.

Jim Burr
12-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Can't get me eyes off that platter...bowls are great too!

Steve Vaughan
12-01-2011, 3:49 PM
I agree, the bowls are great looking, but WOW! That platter is quite the item!

John Keeton
12-01-2011, 4:33 PM
Bunch of beautiful wood!! The platter is striking - I assume that is not a glue up? Hard to find 15" platter stock.

Nice work.

Baxter Smith
12-01-2011, 4:55 PM
That is a stunning platter and the maple is just as beautiful!

Richard Allen
12-01-2011, 5:08 PM
Bunch of beautiful wood!! The platter is striking - I assume that is not a glue up? Hard to find 15" platter stock.

Nice work.
The Zebrawood platter is a glue-up of two pieces from the same board. Zebrawood glues well and with all the stripes the glue line sorta disappears.

Tony De Masi
12-01-2011, 5:31 PM
Beautiful work on both pieces Richard and glad you got some members to agree with your option of bringing in turnings. BUT, that large of a club and a half dozen donations? (former CAW member)

Richard Allen
12-01-2011, 6:46 PM
Beautiful work on both pieces Richard and glad you got some members to agree with your option of bringing in turnings. BUT, that large of a club and a half dozen donations? (former CAW member)

I am contributing a door prize because it feels like the right thing to do. If members feel like it's the right thing then great. Whatever anyone else does has little or no bearing on my participation. This is my idea so there is the vindication that my idea is a good idea. That vindication is separate from my contribution. I will let you know how it goes. BTW 6 contributions feels pretty good as that is 6 more than any other year.

David E Keller
12-01-2011, 8:08 PM
Heck of a deal! I like 'em both!

Kathy Marshall
12-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Very nice work! I agree with the others, that platter is stunning! I really like the form and the stripes are cool!