PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this plane?

john lampros
12-01-2011, 6:45 AM
I have this shoulder plane and I haven't been able to discern its maker. There is only a pat date on it.

James Taglienti
12-01-2011, 7:38 AM
Look up the patent date on datamp.org or google patents. That might help, if it is a US

john lampros
12-01-2011, 8:58 AM
There is no patent number only a pat date. however I did find a "No. 3" on the nose of the plane but no maker I'm familiar with has a No. 3 The blade offers no clues and I doubt its original anyway. A very unique blade hold down method.And nothing about this looks "user made", it seems too well machined. I haven't tried it out yet as the blade is going to need some serious attention and I haven't found the time.

Maurice Ungaro
12-01-2011, 9:36 AM
It is obviously a piece of junk. Send it to me, and I will make sure it is taken care of properly.

Jim Koepke
12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
John,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile information doesn't show your location. What part of the world, country do you call home?

How about sharing the patent date. With just a date, one can then find all items with that date at a site like the link James offered. Usually not many things share the same patent date.

As an example, May 15, 1883 is the date of a patent for a shoulder plane granted to Daniel M. Fielding of Decatur, IL. His plane may have never been made in significant numbers. Eleven other patents share the same date.

There are a lot of patents for shoulder planes. The dates set them apart.

I had a tool for a long time that no one knew what it was. Finally when more information was available on the web, I discovered what it was from the patent dates.

Of course, now you have piqued our interest. Let us know what you find.

jtk

Nicholas Lingg
12-01-2011, 2:40 PM
Patents were only issued on Tuesday's and there were about 400 to 600 issued per week. I've done it and got a hit on about the 200th try.

Jim Koepke
12-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Patents were only issued on Tuesday's and there were about 400 to 600 issued per week. I've done it and got a hit on about the 200th try.

Maybe I was lucky with 1883 being a slow year.

jtk

Mark Baldwin III
12-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm still curious about this one. How 'bout that date? It might not turn anything up, but it's sure fun to try.

john lampros
12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Ok the date stamped on the top of the plane is " apr. 93." One has to assume this 1893. This plane was found in the carpenters chest of an old Great Lakes ore carrier {commissioned from about 1920's till the 60's} along with a bunch of Bailey style knock offs (nothing that peaked my interest.) and a decent Stanley router plane.

Michael Gaynes
12-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Here is what I believe is the patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US496267

john lampros
12-04-2011, 1:42 PM
BINGO!! that sure looks like it. same strange hold down method. Never heard of the guy tho. the only difference is the cut out towards the front of the plane .Maybe an after though possibly to reduce the weight. Thank you so much!! I can hardly wait to dress up the blade and give it a go. I'll let you know how it works! ...john.