PDA

View Full Version : GoodWood - What wood are they using

Khalid Nazim
11-30-2011, 10:46 PM
My son is designing wooden jewellery and wanted to know what wood is being used by Good Wood (www.goodwoodnyc.com). Can you guys spot what type and thickness of wood is being used by in their pieces. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baQoapaaTd4&feature=player_embedded
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baQoapaaTd4&feature=player_embedded)

George M. Perzel
12-01-2011, 6:03 AM
Khalid;
Tough to tell-video is too quick but appears to be a number of different kinds of wood-I spotted red cedar, walnut, maple(?). Call me and will send you some samples of maple, walnut, cherry and jatoba to try.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Mark Conde
12-01-2011, 9:24 AM
I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery. But why not try wood species that you like or ones you think will sale well in your market? There are dozens of exotic and domestic species that have great looks. And if this is an issue of just not being familiar with wood species, you probably want to bone up and understand the looks and properties of different species. My intention is not to be harsh here, but knowing your products and market will be mission critical to business success.

Martin Boekers
12-01-2011, 9:44 AM
One thing I didcovered when I started turning pens is that made wood are hazardous to work
with and certain precautions should be taken. Stay safe.

Maybe an obvious answer is to call Goodwoods and ask what they use.

Khalid Nazim
12-01-2011, 9:47 AM
Mark

You are right on the spot here and your comment is justified. I am not familiar with wood at all and am learning as I am going along and that is why I asked the question. The intention is not to copy their designs or look but to understand what wood can give this type of finish, color contrast etc. Having said that, the work they are doing is phenomenal and very inspiring.

Currently we are using 5mm baltic birch for the designs that he is making and they are selling well in his high school. But he wanted to cut thicker wood and when I asked for an example he said that he wanted cut wood as thick as they do on GoodWood and hence my question.

Regards

Joe Hillmann
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
By looking as some other youtube videos of the products it looks like what ever type of wood they use the stain it first and the contrast comes from engraving through the stain and exposing the wood below.

As far as colors of wood goes: Walnut it a very dark brown, Maple and Poplar almost white, Cherry can be from almost white to red, Red cedar can be white, red orange or purple (I really like the purple color), Suemac is green with white streaks (to find sumac you have to cut it yourself because the trees only get to be about 3 inches in diameter). If you start getting into exotic woods you can get much more color but I never work with them so can't give you information on them.

If you really want to make your pieces stand out you can make your own plywood. I take layers of veneer and glue them together my favorite is to make 5 layer plywood out of walnut, maple, walnut, maple, walnut. When it is cut and the edges are sanded it has a very interesting look.

Mark Conde
12-02-2011, 1:02 PM
I have found that it's tough making jewelry and the other types of products that Good Wood makes from ply. It is tough to market a $30 pendent from ply. But I can market a $30 pendent made from curly maple. Wood is my all time fav substrate to work. There's less appeal to products made from ply. Mother Nature seems to have her process down pat-- I would stick with exotic wood species and domestic species with quilting, curl and/or quartersawn.

Here are favs:

Exotic: 1. Koa 2. wenge 3. bubinga 4. Quilted mahogany

Domestics: 1. Curly cherry 2. Curly Maple 3. Quartersawn sycamore