PDA

View Full Version : Twin Laser Miter Saw

Darrin Davis
11-30-2011, 8:51 PM
Are there any twin laser miter saws left on the market? I've had a Porter Cable Twin Laser for several years not but it seems like it's on it's last leg. I've used many miter saws but the PC Twin Laser is my favorite. Unfortunately, PC and Delta no longer make it. Are there any others out there that I don't know about? I can only seem to find single lasers on the ones I can find on the internet.

Benoit Bissonnette
11-30-2011, 9:04 PM
The Festool Kapex (http://www.festoolcanada.com/products/sliding-compound-miter-saws/kapex-ks-120-sliding-compound-miter-saw-561287.html) is the only one on the market right now with a laser on both side of the blade... I also use to have the Porter-Cable 3802L and it was such a nice saw... Too bad they don't make it anymore. I replaced it with a Milwaukee 12" sliding miter saw equipped with an Irwin laser (http://www.irwin.com/tools/circular-saw-blades/miter-saw-laser-guide).

Brett Robson
11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Not a laser, but the DeWalt 780 slider uses two lights on either side of the blade to cast a shadow of the blade onto the workpiece.

Dan Barber1
12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I've had the PC twin laser (I guess the 3802L) for several years and it's still working fine. I love it. Just wish I had one of the new laser drill presses.

Mike Heidrick
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Not a laser, but the DeWalt 780 slider uses two lights on either side of the blade to cast a shadow of the blade onto the workpiece.

Not sure if it is one light over the top of the blade or two on each side but I have it on my 717 and it is the best setup on a chop saw I have ever used. Way better than lasers!!

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
The KAPEX is nice. You have adjustments for both lasers.

Chris Tsutsui
12-02-2011, 1:10 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the Kapex lasers cast a shadow showing the exact edge of the blade, then that laser hits a clear plastic blade cover that's perforated which then splits the laser light into dashed markings.

I don't see why all miter saws don't have dual lasers for I used to have a hitachi with a single laser and I hated having to adjust it the left or right side of the blade.

My kapex appears to be a "set and forget" adjustment and has always been spot on. A little compressed air to clean the dust every now and then sharpens the laser lines.

The only improvement on the kapex laser is to have that laser wrap around your object. The kapex only shines the laser on the top and front sides and not the back... heh

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-02-2011, 1:34 PM
You are correct about the single laser on the KAPEX. I dont think the blade cover has any thing to do with it though. When you move the cover up and down, back and forth the beam does not change other than the holes that let it shine through.

There are iadjustments for both beams though. However one adjustment will affect the other so its kind of tough at first. But once you get it you never have to touch it again.