PDA

View Full Version : I love my new Earlex 5500 so far.

keith micinski
11-30-2011, 8:41 PM
I had a 14 hour day today but I still got excited when I got home and saw the box sitting there. I broke it out and in 5 minutes was ready to go. I just guessed on the viscosity of the paint and I had left the paint out in the garage where it was only 55 degrees but this thing still did an amazing job. I did a couple of test patterns and then sprayed a few pieces of trim. I was really happy with the results and I bet if I took the time to actually do the viscosity and I wasn't trying to spray 55 degree paint it would be even better. I was amazed at the lack of overspray and the whole setup is very easy to use. The packaging is a great idea the way they store everything and how portable it is. The paint dries really quick because of the heated air also. It was really pretty easy to clean up too, with the canister being coated in teflon and the gun being pretty easy to take apart and being able to get to everything. About my only complaint so far is one that I had read about, the hose is just a friction fit on the gun and the turbine and it blew out on me so I had to really stuff it in there hard. They definitely need to redesign that but so far so good.

Doug Colombo
11-30-2011, 9:26 PM
Glad to hear that you like it -I have been out of town a lot on business so mine is still in the box :mad: Hopefully I can try it out in the next week or so.

Jaromir Svoboda
11-30-2011, 10:30 PM
I ordered mine yesterday,can't wait.:)

Curt Harms
12-01-2011, 9:28 AM
They do work surprisingly well, don't they? i have the 5000 which I believe puts out less air. It could still be a problem if used in a dusty environment with dust blown up to settle on a wet finish. The portability and not needing a large compressor sure are nice though. If you get real creative, you can cobble up a means to use small glass jars in place of the teflon coated pot. Kinda handy for small jobs -- take the lid off a jar with finish, screw it on the gun, spray away, take the jar off and put the lid back on. If you take the fluid nozzle out and run water into the opening it cleans up pretty well. This assumes water cleanup finishes.

Lex Boegen
12-02-2011, 5:30 PM
I've got one too that I bought at the local Woodcraft store. The first time I used it I didn't have the viscosity right so I got lots of splatter (severe orange peel). I've used it a few times now and I like it, although I've had the hose blow out of the gun on me too. I haven't tried any clear finishes with it yet, but I think it will do better with those. I've got all four needles and fluid caps for it now, picking up the 1.0mm from Amazon earlier this week.

keith micinski
12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I found some plastic cups that come with a lid that allows you to store your product for an as yet undetermined amount of time. If this works out well I will be able to get a formula down for mixing up a container of white which is the only color I really use for trim and doors and I will know that my viscosity and mixture is right on even if I just need a little bit to do some touch up work on something. I think it also makes the clean up proccess easier to because then you can just fill a cup with water and when your done switch cups blow it through the gun and then clean your needle and cap off. I am pretty excited about getting a good system down and really being able to turn out some quality work with a minimum of hassle.