PDA

View Full Version : A Roger Chandler & Tony De Masi Production

Tony De Masi
11-30-2011, 3:22 PM
This maple HF was started with the gracious help of Roger Chandler. He was kind enough to invite me to test drive his monster rig. Roger shaped the outside of this HF and then directed me on the use of the monster to hollow the inside. After a DNA soak and drying this is the final result. Finished with a few coats of WOP.

Measures 6.5" tall, 5" at the widest, and the mouth and foot are 1.5"

C & C always welcome and thanks again Roger.

p.s. - sorry I forgot to crop the photo.

Bill Bulloch
11-30-2011, 3:35 PM
That looks like a purty nice collaboration. You don't need no stinking crop. Did you sand the inside?????

Roger Chandler
11-30-2011, 4:16 PM
Tony.........that "turned" out pretty nice! I know you had to glue all those cracks shut :eek: but it looks like you pulled it off nicely from the picture.

I enjoyed having you and Mike at my little man cave [a.k.a. "studio/shop" ;) ] and hope we can get together again. Nice form on this, by the way! :D

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2011, 4:46 PM
That is a beauty Tony. Looks like you and Roger got it done.

charlie knighton
11-30-2011, 5:05 PM
very nice, Toni & Roger

Tony De Masi
11-30-2011, 6:41 PM
Bill, I touched up the inside just a little. Since I don't have a hollowing system I did not re=turn the inside of this HF. But, the monster did a great job in the first place and it looks and feels fairly decent.

John Keeton
11-30-2011, 8:16 PM
Well, I for one am impressed!!! A fine collaborative piece, and a great opportunity for Tony to get hands on with the Monster rig.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-30-2011, 9:59 PM
Oh Oh Tony! That's sweet. Does this mean there might be a Monster in Santa's bag for you?
faust

Roger Chandler
12-01-2011, 7:04 AM
Tony,

Faust asks a good question.............did you like the Monster system well enough that one is in your future?

That ambrosia maple HF ...........if you sell it, you should get double the price..............after all two "R-teeeeests" :rolleyes::rolleyes: collaborated and it has to be worth twice as much, don't you think?! :D

Dan Hintz
12-01-2011, 7:47 AM
And you wanted to know if I was willing to wait until the summer to pick up my own Monster, Tony? ;)

Tony De Masi
12-01-2011, 8:29 AM
Butch, won't be for Christmas but possibly sometime in the spring.

Roger, it does have both of our names on the bottom so I could bring double the price.

Dan, I mentioned spring time as the possible time to pull the trigger, not summer.

This whole HF thing is certainly interesting, but the few shows I have done have sort of left me with a feeling that folks don't know what they are or what to do with them. I've tried to explain it as best I can but a Boston boy trying to explain things to the hill folk doesn't always work out so well.

Roger Chandler
12-01-2011, 8:33 AM
Roger, it does have both of our names on the bottom so I could bring double the price.

This whole HF thing is certainly interesting, but the few shows I have done have sort of left me with a feeling that folks don't know what they are or what to do with them. I've tried to explain it as best I can but a Boston boy trying to explain things to the hill folk doesn't always work out so well.

Great Tony! I guess you can get $0.50 instead of $0.25!!! Can we split the profit? :D;)

Mike Cruz
12-01-2011, 3:04 PM
Man, and to think...If I had had a hand in it, I could have been part of this collaboration, had my name on the bottom, and raised the val...actually, good thing I didn't touch it, the value would be down to $0.32...

Nice job finishing that HF off. Looks beautiful.

Roger Chandler
12-01-2011, 3:56 PM
Man, and to think...If I had had a hand in it, I could have been part of this collaboration, had my name on the bottom, and raised the val...actually, good thing I didn't touch it, the value would be down to $0.32...

Nice job finishing that HF off. Looks beautiful.

Geez Mike...........you should have at least tried out the monster rig.............you might have become a budding "R-teeeest!" :D;)

Baxter Smith
12-01-2011, 4:59 PM
Congrats on finishing the collaboration. Lots of good memories to go with it!

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2011, 5:12 PM
Pretty wood! I really like the form on this! Must be the photo, but the foot looks smaller than the mouth and works quite well at that proportion! Nice work you two!

Tony De Masi
12-01-2011, 5:25 PM
Steve, coming from you I consider that a real compliment. I think it must be the photo as I took a set of digital calipers to both the foot and the opening.

Mike, if I remember I'll bring it to the next DAMP meeting. If you are real lucky I'll even let you hold it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-01-2011, 5:29 PM
Tony,
My son has impeccable taste in decoration and tries to steal every bowl I make. Last week I finished a six inch diameter maple hollow form with only a 5/8" hole. It weighed nothing. When he came for Thanksgiving I handed it to him for his response. He said, "Nice, Dad, but what do you do with one of these things".
Later that evening we were watching a TV show and there was a hollow form on a table in one of the scenes. When I pointed it out to him, he decided he wanted mine after all. People will begin to appreciate hollow forms once they are more widely noticed.
butch

Mike Cruz
12-01-2011, 5:31 PM
No need, I've already got one...

Tony De Masi
12-01-2011, 5:36 PM
Who did you buy if from Mike? I know you didnt' make it.:D