PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on glass with Rub N Buff

Phil Collins
11-30-2011, 3:03 PM
All my experience has been with wood, small items such as intarsia and fretwork. For the first time I am starting an engraving project to be a wedding gift. I purchased the Ultra Carver (I know it is low end but works ok for now) and engraving the first names on glass and will add Rub N Buff.

Not sure exactly what the font is call for the letters but somewhere between Old English and Script. I have read several threads about masking. Do you use masking (masking tape??) for each of the letters? This would be a bit tough with all the curves and some are on the tiny side. I am just going very slow and hopefully will have straight lines. I read one thread where a stencil brush was used instead of rubbing the color with your finger and cloth-I am going to try the brush.

Thanks

Phil

Dan Hintz
11-30-2011, 3:18 PM
If you're using R&B on glass, I see no reason to mask. Rub it in, squeegee off the majority and polish the remaining off. You'll have to be careful not to rub it out of the engraved areas as glass doesn't really etch with any depth.

Gary Hair
11-30-2011, 3:50 PM
Dan is exactly right. Make sure you get enough depth that the R&B will be well below the surface of the glass. You might want to test on another piece of glass and see how deep you can get. I always sandcarve glass so I have no problem with depth and the stencil works great for paint fill.

Gary