PDA

View Full Version : Another HF question for you

Jake Helmboldt
11-30-2011, 2:06 PM
OK, for those of you that do a lot of HFs; what do you use to sand the insides? Flap wheel? Standard pad mounted on an extender? What about getting underneath the top (near the opening and before the radius)?

If you use an extender with a regular sanding pad, do you have a recommendation as to product? Surprisingly a lot of places don't carry them (Lee Valley, Klingspor, etc don't have them in their catalogs). I was thinking a 6" extender with set screws for the 1/4" shank of the sanding pad would be a good option.

Scott Hackler
11-30-2011, 2:36 PM
In most cases I follow a simple rule, make the hole small enough that you can't stick you fingure inside! If I can stick my finger inside, I only worry about sanding the area that can be reached with a finger. I do this with some 180 grit wrapped around a turned dowl.

Bill Bulloch
11-30-2011, 3:30 PM
I was using homemade flap wheels with all the different grits by attaching the sandpaper to a 1/4" bolt in the drill, but I saw Cindy Drozda using a one inch Hook and Loop Disc with two inch sandpaper attached. She Stots the ends of the sand paper with scissors down to the disc holder. This works much better is quicker and a lot easier. You'll need a hole a little over an inch and an extender.

I get the one inch disc and 2 3/8" Blue Flex Sandpaper at: www.vinceswoodnwonders.com (http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com)

Ever try hollowing from the bottom and plugging?

Alan Trout
11-30-2011, 3:40 PM
I make what I call a sanding finger. It is basically a dowel with a wood ball that I face at an angle and then I glue a hook and loop pad on to that faced area of the wood ball. I can sand through a hole as small as 3/4" with my small finger. I try the make the interior as nice at the exterior. While most won't care, I do as I always try to do that little extra as I feel the small details are what really makes a piece nice or sets it apart. I know I am a little crazy but it is not uncommon that I can spend a couple of hours or more just sanding the interior of a piece.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2011, 4:44 PM
I always sand the interior as far as I can reach with my fingers. Then I use a dowel split part way down and wrap it with sandpaper. I also try to get my insides pretty well sanded especially if you can get your finigers in.

Dan Forman
11-30-2011, 4:59 PM
Bill --- Can you show a picture of the Drozda sanding rig?

Thanks,

Dan

Wally Dickerman
11-30-2011, 5:07 PM
Oh yeah, if you leave a large enough opening, turners will stick a finger in to check for lumps and roughness. I buy a knobby rubber finger tip at a stationery store. Triple fold a narrow piece of sandpaper so that you have grit on both sides. It's a 2 handed operation. The finger with the rubber knobby fingertip is holding the SP inside while the other hand holds the end of the sp. You can sand it very smooth. Just hope the safety police aren't watching....Been doing it for years and haven't twisted a finger off yet. If your finger is longer than mine you might feel a little rough spot.

Craft Supplies stocks 3 sizes of what they call sanding clamps. Forceps. Double or triple fold coarse SP and clamp it. Does a pretty good job of sanding the lower area of a HF. I support it with a tool rest. Keep your fingers out of the loops.

Roger Chandler
11-30-2011, 6:12 PM
I fold a piece of sandpaper into 3rds, then clamp it in a hemostat medical clamp with a curved end............however, since I started using the round carbide cutter tip on my monster rig, the thing comes out pretty smooth..........I usually then take a 180 or 220 grit to the inside and then maybe a 320............

On the "gnarly sophisticate" cherry burl I just did, I did not sand the inside.........too many voids and bark inclusion.........I left it like it was off the tool.

David E Keller
12-01-2011, 7:25 AM
I try not to other than the 'finger zone' near the opening. For pieces with voids, I made a little sanding mandrel that fits in a dremel with a 1/2" hook and loop end... I cut up disks to make smaller discs for reaching inside. Don't forget you can sand through the void openings to access some areas better.

Bill Bulloch
12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Bill --- Can you show a picture of the Drozda sanding rig?

Thanks,

Dan

I saw the video of her doing a demo at the AAW symposium (I think it was), but I am unable to find it now,

Here is a picture that might help figure it out. I'm using a 1" sanding pad and a 2 3/8" sanding disc.

Slops are cut along the lines that I have drawn.

By-the-way Dan, you look better dressed in Drag.

Jim Burr
12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I have a set of 6" and 12" hemostats with curved jaws that I'll fold a disc over. Do Not put your fingers in the holes!!!

Rob Cunningham
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I only sand the inside as far as I can reach with my finger. I turn the spindle by hand, never stick my finger in while it's under power.