PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Big Cherry Burl

Ty King
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a cherry burl that I would like your opinion on how to slab it out for turning projects. The burl itself is 2 feet thick by 4 feet wide, not including roots and stump. My thoughts are to trim roots off and stump and find someone with bandsaw mill to slab it out. What thicknesses would you use.

John Keeton
11-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Ty, glad to see you posting! I think you first need to decide what you want to turn from this burl. Lot of possibilities - I would be tempted to slab off either side and leave them in "cap" form for possible NE pieces, and then perhaps slab the rest in varying thicknesses depending on whether you do hollow forms or bowls/platters/etc.

I would guess each of us would approach this thing differently given what we like to turn. For me, blocks would be great for hollow forms.

Gary Max
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
I would clean the roots off with a chainsaw and quarter the rest. You would get 4 real nice blanks

Reed Gray
11-30-2011, 12:31 PM
If you want flat work pieces, then slab it up. For me, like John, best turning pieces would be natural edged bowls with the burl spikes up. The bottom part with the roots may not have much to offer. I would be temped to cut the burl up in a checker board pattern.

robo hippy

Dan Forman
11-30-2011, 12:35 PM
If it hasn't already been done, first thing to do would be seal up any cuts with Anchor Seal to prevent cracking. Then turn the trailer right side up so that it doesn't fall out - it would be a bear to get back in there. :)

I think John has some good advice on cutting. At least there is lot to work with, so you will have some room for error. From what I have read, you never know what you are getting in cherry burl, though that looks like it should be a good one.

Dan

Baxter Smith
11-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Great chunk of burl! I would agree with it depends on what you want to make and the size of your lathe. The suggestions given on slabbing off the outside first sound good but do so with quality in mind. Two or three good ones are better than a lot of of mediocre ones.

Jim Burr
11-30-2011, 1:48 PM
Pen blanks!!! Lot's of pen blanks!!;):rolleyes::D

David E Keller
11-30-2011, 2:00 PM
I like Keeton's plan... If you've got access to a mill, that would be a great way to break it down. Four 6 inch thick slabs would be a nice way to start out, then you could chunk it up from there.

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2011, 4:49 PM
That is a great looking burl. Lots of turnings there. I also have to agree with the Keeton plan.

Cory Norgart
11-30-2011, 5:19 PM
+1 on John, I would for sure get some caps off that beauty. 2-3 inch thick slabs are also a must. Alot of options that way.

kevin nee
11-30-2011, 6:06 PM
I stand beside the mill and watch the grain as each slab comes off.
Then I plan for bowls hf ect. Nice solid 2 inch slabs make beautiful
plates. Dry 2 in slabs make nice segmented rings. Bandsaw mills
do a nice job on burl. Good luck!

Jack Mincey
11-30-2011, 6:38 PM
I can't believe no one warned you on how dangerous cherry burl can be to turn and that they would be more than welling to take the terrible job of turning the dangerous stuff off you hands.:D:D It looks like you did get some good advise already. All I would add is don't waste a bit of it and if you happen to know of anyone that owns a coring system it is a good time to talk them into helping you get at least one nested set of nature edge bowls out of that burl. I was giving a large oak burl a few years ago and manged to get over 36 bowls out of it. 27 of them where from coring 3 large blanks into 9 bowls each with 7 bark edge in each set.
Turn Safe,
Jack Mincey

Philip Duffy
12-01-2011, 5:14 AM
However you decide to cut it please know that many of us would like to see the pieces before they are turned and as finished pieces. Phil