PDA

View Full Version : Holdfast vacuum pivot adapter problems

Bill Wyko
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Well I bought a Holdfast vacuum adapter to go with my Oneway vacuum chuck. Turned it on and it worked perfectly.......for about 2 minutes. Then the bearing seized up and twisted the hose up into a ball. I was only running at 600 rpm's so that shouldn't have a problem. I contacted Craft Supply USA where I got it from, they said they will send a new bearing today. Great service from them but I'm disappointed in the bearing. Has anyone else had an issue like mine?

Jim Burr
11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up! That is the same vac chuck I was going to get...Always had great service from CSUSA!!

John Keeton
11-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Bill, I am sure every batch of apples has one bad one, and sounds like you found it! Hope you get it resolved. I have had excellent service from my Holdfast system.

Roger Chandler
11-30-2011, 1:27 PM
I have the holdfast setup as well..........zero issues so far.........it has served me well.

Bill Wyko
11-30-2011, 1:46 PM
That's what I'm hoping. It seems like the bearing has no lubricant in it. I can feel the ballbearings binding inside it. As fast as it went bad, I'm sure if it were a common problem it would across the board.
Since you guys have used this sytem, what's the highest RPM you would recommend using it?

Roger Chandler
11-30-2011, 1:57 PM
Bill,

I have finished off the bottom of a bowl at 900-950 rpm with mine, but that was with maximum vacuum and light cuts........I usually do around 650 rpm, but if you can bring up the tailstock and get just a little support then you should be able to go up to 1000 rpm.

I think they Holdfast people recommend around 600-700 rpm.

Bill Wyko
11-30-2011, 4:46 PM
Another great customer service experience. Holdfast contacted me directly and told me they will send a replacement bearing assemply out right away. |We also got on the subject of what else they do. Turns out the whole family are wood turners. They specialize in CA adhesives. They also have a new CA specially for pen turners. I don't do pens but I figured I'd pass it along to those of you that do. Their website is www.tmiproducts.net