PDA

View Full Version : Band saw, Jointer or Planer? which should I buy?

Don Harrington
03-07-2005, 3:26 PM
I have been looking at band saws a lot lately. I have talked with Mini Max, Laguna and Agazzani, am I being foolish to buy one of these pretty expensive saws? I had a Delta 14" that I wasn't very impressed with so I sold it.
This would be may first "good" bandsaw. I am leaning toward the Mini Max MM16. however, I also need a jointer and a planer. Can Anyone out there steer me in the right direction. I have been making furniture for a couple of years—much of which I sell through galleries—and have made due with jig sawes and a drum sander but I think there must be a better way.

Did I mention that money needs to be prioritized wisely?

Jim Becker
03-07-2005, 3:43 PM
Don, first off, welcome to Sawmill Creek...a nice place to hang out.

I'm a firm believer in buying the best tools one can afford--especially if your livelyhood depends upon them, but even for those with woodworking as an avocation. I'm also a happy MM16 owner and the new version blows mine away! I can't help you choose which tools to buy; BS or the jointer and planer. (The latter two really are a pair--I ended up doing Mini Max there, too) It really depends on your needs towards the work you do.

joseph j shields
03-07-2005, 4:17 PM
Hello Don,

I am in a similar situation .... (except I have a planer)

I ended up buying the MiniMax s16 (hope to have it in a week)--- not quite up to the MM16.

As far as a planer.... they are cheap (compared to the MM16) and the 12" portables do a very good job. For about $450 you can get the DeWalt. My friend has one and the finished cut is remarkable... even in figured woods (no tear-out) I have the older DeWalt and is does a good job..

For a jointer, I'm thinking about a 8" from Grizzly for about $850.

Although I really wanted a MM16 bandsaw, for the price of the MM16, I got the S16 and have enough money leftover to buy the jointer.

Hope this helps!

-jj

David Wilson
03-07-2005, 4:45 PM
Welcome Don
Just bite the bullet and buy all 3.

John Bailey
03-07-2005, 6:04 PM
Don,

I've gotten along many years without any of those machines. I'm in the market now for all three. I'm going with the bandsaw first because I believe it will increase my diversity more than the planer and jointer. The planer and jointer will eventually save me some money and time, but the bandsaw will open up new possibilities. I've decided not to go the high priced route, simply for economics. I can afford to take my time and fiddle with the less accurate machines. If I were a pro however, I think I would go for the better equipment. Time is money, as they say.

Let us know what you decide.

John

Paul B. Cresti
03-07-2005, 6:58 PM
Welcome to the Creek! First lets face it do we really need all these tools? No not really .....oh who am I kidding...Yes most definately get the MiniMax. It is the best of the Italian made bandsaws period. I went the route you did and finally (about 4 years ago) ended up with a 24" model. I have never ever looked back. If you have the means and you are serious about woodworking get the best you can as it will prove it's worth. I have a small pro shop and all of my machines are MM. I rely on them to make a living.. well at least 40-50% of my income. If you have any questions fire away or PM me.

Cecil Arnold
03-07-2005, 7:21 PM
I went from a Jet 14, which for the price is a good saw, to a MM16. It's day and night. You will want a good BS sooner or later so bite the bullett. You can get along with a benchtop planer, IMHO, but look at a good 8" jointer (again IMHO) when you get ready for that item.

Richard Wolf
03-07-2005, 7:56 PM
I vote with Paul Cresti. I own a small pro shop and recently purchased the MM20 and a MM T 124 copy lathe. Neither one did I need to get buy in my day to day work. But when you are make money in woodworking having really good equipment can make a big difference. These two machines are the best investment in my shop. They are not good, they are great. Its your money and your choice, but if you could swing it please do yourself the favor and go for the MM16. You will invent reason to use it.

Richard

Kent Cori
03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the Creek Don. You are going to love it here.

As for your question, I believe it really depends on what types of woodworking projects you like to build. You said you build furniture. If you like styles that have a lot of curves, the BS is invaluable. However, if you prefer the simpler styles such as Mission, I'd go with the planer and jointer. Ask yourself, which would you use the most?

Michael Perata
03-07-2005, 10:34 PM
MM 16 and a good L-N #7 and you have just set your shop up. (Well, almost!)

jim mckee
03-08-2005, 7:55 AM
Here's your jointer

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg=details&id=7705

Frank Pellow
03-08-2005, 8:31 AM
Don, welcome to Saw Mill Creek. SMC has been agreat source of ideas, answers, questions, entertainment, and comaradarie to me in the year that I have belonged.

Having gone without any of these three machines for many many years, I finally sprung for all three. But, if I had had to pick just one it would have been the bandsaw. By the way, my bandsaw is an ACM Star 400. It is an Italian made band saw simialr to the MM16 and, like the MM16, it has 40cm wheeels.

Don Harrington
03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
thank you all.

Looks like I will get the MM16. The jointer and planer may have to wait a bit.

Don

Norman Hitt
03-08-2005, 5:48 PM
thank you all.

Looks like I will get the MM16. The jointer and planer may have to wait a bit.

Don

Don, I think you made a good decision for the reasons already stated, but also from an economic standpoint. As the USD continues to drop compared to the Euro dollar, a good bandsaw will definitely cost more later and each price increase on a higher priced machine will be affected more than a percentage increase on the lower cost units like the jointer and planer. I'm also a MM owner of 2 machines, and they are great folks to deal with.

Welcome to the Creek.