PDA

View Full Version : Undermount Drawer Slide Question

Mike Goetzke
11-30-2011, 8:57 AM
I'm using soft-close undermount slides for our kitchen drawers. I mounted the slides and have finished making the drawer box components. My drawer box length and slide mounting are spot on. I dry assembled one of the boxes and find the face of the box is flush with the face frame. Is this correct? I would have thought they would have been slightly recessed. I used hardwood for the drawers so I could use my drum sander or planer to take the front or front/back down a bit.

Thanks,

Mike

Gene Howe
11-30-2011, 9:23 AM
Mike,
I used Blums and they closed flush with the face frame. But, that's what I wanted.

I'm using soft-close undermount slides for our kitchen drawers. I mounted the slides and have finished making the drawer box components. My drawer box length and slide mounting are spot on. I dry assembled one of the boxes and find the face of the box is flush with the face frame. Is this correct? I would have thought they would have been slightly recessed. I used hardwood for the drawers so I could use my drum sander or planer to take the front or front/back down a bit.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Goetzke
11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Mike,
I used Blums and they closed flush with the face frame. But, that's what I wanted.

I should have given more detail. I'm building the drawer boxes and then attaching a slab or 5-piece front that will overlap the face frame. Should the box itself be recessed or just flush with the face frame?

Thanks,

Mike

Steve Griffin
11-30-2011, 10:16 AM
For overlay doors, I like to set drawer boxes in about 1/16 from faceframe so drawer face hits on faceframe.
This allows for a little fudge room if something is not perfectly perfect.

But as long as there isn't a single bit of drawer box poking proud of your faceframe, you are just fine.

If you do need to move a tandem back, that's where those 150 mounting holes come in handy--stick a couple screws in a couple new holes towards the back of the hole and drive partially. Take out the original screws. Drive the two new screws and you've moved the slide back about 1/16 inch. Put in two more screws and you are done. (you don't need to use all 150 holes ;) )

Jeff Monson
11-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Mine are flush if not a tiny bit recessed. I love blum undermounts with blumotion, top notch product.

Charlie Plesums
11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
If the face is inset, the drawer slides will push the face against the cabinet, and make a noise (but you just bought silent slides). If it is flush, the slides will stop with the face flush. Since nothing is perfect, there may be a tiny gap or a tiny noise. To avoid the noise completely, you could set the slides with the front out slightly, and the face would never touch the cabinet.

scott vroom
11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
I plan my drawer boxes (without the slab attached) to be flush to slightly in. If slamming noise is a problem, small felt or cork pads can be attached to the inside drawer front.

Jeff Duncan
11-30-2011, 1:36 PM
Yep, they fit flush so when you put the little plastic bump pads they close perfectly. You've got it right, don't worry.

JeffD

Richard McComas
11-30-2011, 3:46 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-161373.html?

Mike Goetzke
11-30-2011, 4:51 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-161373.html?

Thanks for everyone for the help & this link made me feel much better.

Mike