PDA

View Full Version : MicroJig splitter question

Peter Gavin
03-07-2005, 2:23 PM
In the interest of safety (reinforced after a minor 'accident' a few weeks ago) I bought the microjig splitter set (both regular and thin kerf) at the Milwaukee woodworking show last weekend. I have made the zero clearance inserts, but I have found that there is not enough room behind the blade when fully raised to fit all three of the pegs that hold it in position. I am faced with three options and wonder if you could give me advice on the best course of action:

1. Install the splitter but sacrifice some blade height. This would be okay, but I am already limited to a 9" blade (an old Delta/Rockwell saw) and I have a feeling that eventually I would raise the blade while the splitter was in the insert and destroy it.

2. Use only two of the three pegs to hold the splitter. I could remove the rear peg and have the splitter hang 'overboard' on the insert. I am afraid this would be unstable.

3. The same as number two, but drill a whole for the third peg directly into my table saws top. I could offset the thin kerf and regular splitters forward and back enough that I could still use both splitters.

I am leaning towards option number three, unless someone foresees problems that I have missed. I know it is probably a bad idea to mark up a tablesaw top, but since it is in the saw kerf line I don't foresee any problems with functionality.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

Peter

Jeff Sudmeier
03-07-2005, 3:15 PM
Peter, I think that the main issue would be to make sure that the hole you drill, is tight fitting enough to help. This may mean a non-standard drill bit. Other than that, I would probably think along the same lines as you do, that it would be best to use all three pegs of the splitter. I do not have the splitter, so I can't provide real world usage. However, your reasoning seems right on.

John Lucas
03-07-2005, 3:24 PM
Peter,
SInce this is a safety issue, I will refrain from putting my guess in. I just received the new MJ myself and I ahvent installed yet. I suggest you send y our dilema to the company - use this address: grr-ripper@microjig.com They are very responsive and I would think could answer your question properly .

Alan Turner
03-07-2005, 5:51 PM
I use the MJ splitter, on a Uni. I don't see a problem with drilling the table. From the sounds of your saw, the value would not be hurt in any serious way. Safety is paramount. But, as another said, I would call the company and seek guidance.

Frank Pellow
03-07-2005, 6:17 PM
Having just instaloled the MJ Splitter myself and used it for one day, I can tell you that I really really like it. It's too bad that you don't have the room in your insert plate and I second the recommendation that the company should be consulted. I certainly would not use the splitter without all three pegs in place, and I see no harm in drilling ahole in the table, so I expect that that is what they will recommend.