PDA

View Full Version : Good fruitcake

Dave Lehnert
11-30-2011, 12:42 AM
People like to make fun but I like "Good" fruitcake. Not that brown bread stuff you buy at the drugstore. I'm talking about fruit cake from the Gethsemani Monks in KY. Made with Kentucky Bourbon.

Anyone know of a good fruitcake to purchase?

Joe Angrisani
11-30-2011, 9:04 AM
Why not just go to your favorite....

http://www.gethsemanifarms.org/fruitcake.aspx

::::::::::::::::::::::

Our family always had one of these at the holidays:

Collin Street Bakery. http://www.collinstreet.com/pages/online_bakery_gift/deluxe_fruitcake?previous_url_id=0

Jim Rimmer
11-30-2011, 1:26 PM
Isn't that title an oxymoron? :D

Don Orr
11-30-2011, 2:47 PM

I thought the same thing! Until I tried the Collin Street cake that is. Very tasty.

Jim Rimmer
11-30-2011, 4:52 PM
I thought the same thing! Until I tried the Collin Street cake that is. Very tasty.

Are you referrring to the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX or is it another one?

Raymond Fries
11-30-2011, 8:39 PM
I had a Claxton Fruitcake and liked it.

Paul Saffold
11-30-2011, 10:14 PM
+ 1 for Claxton dark and +1 for Collin Street Bakery. Neither as good as dear 'ol mom's made with bourbon, but that recipe is long gone...

Belinda Barfield
12-01-2011, 6:48 AM
I had a Claxton Fruitcake and liked it.

+ 1 for Claxton dark and +1 for Collin Street Bakery. Neither as good as dear 'ol mom's made with bourbon, but that recipe is long gone...

Really? Seriously? Claxton fruitcake? Yuck.

Cary Falk
12-01-2011, 8:25 AM
+++++ a billion

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2011, 9:36 AM
Diann makes Christmas puddings and then they are carefully wrapped and stored in tins in the shop until they are a year old and ready to eat.

During that year they are opened a few times, some liquor is added and they are re-wrapped and stored.

Same with fruitcake, Diann makes a nice dark one that's stored for a year, same sort of drill.

To me a good fruitcake is going to be expensive, and probably not commercially available, perhaps a small local bakery could make some that could be kept for next year?

regards, Rod.

Von Bickley
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Really? Seriously? Claxton fruitcake? Yuck.

I agree with Belinda 100%. Store bought fruitcakes are for people that don't know what a real fruit cake is.

The bakery fruit cakes are probably O.K., but I have my own old timey recipe......

Jim Koepke
12-01-2011, 1:41 PM
My wife has her old family recipe and I have mine.

We both enjoy each other's. Hers is actually a fruit cake, mine is a zucchini fruit bread.

Hers gets the rum treatment, mine doesn't.

Guess I need to get into the kitchen and make some.

Hope she will make some when she gets back from California.

jtk

Bill Cunningham
12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
We have this years fruitcakes in the dark, wrapped in cloth, (To keep the brandy from leaking out ;=) My wife makes the fruitcake using the same recipe and baking tins brought over from Scotland by my grandmother in the 1800's. Only my wife and I and one daughter like fruitcake, so I don't have to share...much... You can't buy a good fruitcake, you have to make them...

Dave Lehnert
12-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks to all, Guess I will have to give it a try sometime making my own.