PDA

View Full Version : Reversing switches on lathe motors

Frank Hasty
11-30-2011, 12:17 AM
It's been a good while since I visited the creek but it's good to be back!
I just ordered the Grizzly G 0658 on Sunday and it is being delivered tomorrow, Wednesday! Something I read recently by a Sawmill Creek member really aroused my interest and helped me decide on the 0658, and that was the article on adding a reversing switch to the motor.
I had already put an industrial reversing switch on my 50's vintage Craftsman lathes 120v single ph motor and really enjoyed the added flexibility.
Many years ago I did the same thing with a Radio Shack DPDT toggle switch on a 3/4 hp shaper motor and it works fine as long as power is off to the motor when the switch was made. The contacts in that little switch would not take switching when energized. It is a simple matter to turn the motor off with the normal power switch, then flip the toggle and restart.
Looking forward to trying out my new lathe after dealing with the cumbersome adjustments on my faithful Craftsman for several years.

Frank Hasty Brunswick GA

James Combs
11-30-2011, 1:01 AM
The G0658 is a great little lathe. I have it and a Jet 1642vs. I would estimate that I use the Griz as much if not more then the Jet. When I got the jet and discovered the convenience of a reversing switch I really had no choice but to add one to the Griz;). It works outstanding. BTW even if you used an extra heavy duty reversing switch I can't think of a good reason to ever switch it with the main power on and the spindle spinning. I wouldn't attempt that even on my Jet which has a factory installed switch although I have done it on the Jet by accident:o and believe me it is not something you want to make a habit of:eek:. All of that inertia in one direction suddenly reversing puts a tremendous amount of torque on the spindle. On a smaller lathe with a larger blank it could flip the lathe over, wear on the contacts would be a miner issue.

I think my tutorial article on adding the switch is fairly detailed but if you do add one to your Griz and you have any questions on the mod, feel free to send me a PM.