PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening - Set Up Tool Question

Brent Dorner
11-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I have seen many methods when it comes to grinding, many people seem to use the Wolverine Jig. I see people making set up tools so that the jig will return to the same position for each individual tool after they sharpen other tools. My questions is this... I realize a set up tool will give you the correct position from the grinder face to the jig and even accounts for the grinding wheel shrinking with use but I am wondering how does it account for tool length since some tools are 12 inches long and some might be 22 inches long... and even if it was set up for your length chisel how does it account for the chisel shrinking in length as the flute is sharpened over and over.... hope I made some sense with what I just asked.

Thanks,
Brent

Roger Chandler
11-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Brent,

The length of the tool is not an issue.........the jig is adjusted from the tip of the tool, and that is what gives a consistent grind on the tip. I use a gauge hole in a piece of 2x4 for consistent placement of the jig on the gouge.

Baxter Smith
11-29-2011, 11:18 PM
If you are using the varigrind jig, you insert the gouge into a hole drilled into a block of wood that is of a specific depth,(oneway says 1 3/4 in their instructions though some may go a bit longer to allow for longer wings) then tighten the jig down. Even though the tools may be of different lengths (or be getting ground shorter and shorter), the jig is always clamped the same distance from the tip. You can also use a block of wood cut to a specific length(as a spacer between the front of the sliding arm and the base of the grinder get a repeatable distance for the slding arm. I am sure you will get other(and better explanations!)

Reed Gray
11-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Sounds like you are talking about the set up where the heel of the handle goes in a cup/wedge thing, and the blade goes on the grinding wheel. This set up is more for SRGs (spindle roughing gouges). I don't like that set up, and prefer a platform, then size/length of tool makes no difference. For swept back and finger nail type grinds, then you use the jig.

robo hippy

Brent Dorner
11-30-2011, 8:46 AM
sorry, I wasn't sure how to ask the question. I am talking about if you are using one of these
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/enlarge_popup?Args=&imgsrc=/products/additional_images/raptor-gouge_l.jpg

i (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Universal_Jigs___Raptor_Set_Up_Tool__ _raptor?Args=)t seems like you chisel/tool would need to be a certain length to use that set up device. So I was curious at how it account for the different chisel lengths and the tool getting shorter as you sharpen.

my bad, realized the set up tools where for a different jig than I thought... all makes sense now :o

Reed Gray
11-30-2011, 12:37 PM
I believe those are made for setting the platform angles. The platform does need to be at wheel center height to be accurate. That set up that is there is the one I was talking about. For that type of sharpening, like the SRG, or for me all my gouges, I would use the platform, then length makes no difference, unless your tool steel is worn down to a nub, then you can double sticky tape a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to the platform for those shortys, or I think Oneway now makes a mini platform for their Wolverine system.

robo hippy