PDA

View Full Version : Under this ugly finish lies some pretty cherry

Eric Gourieux
11-29-2011, 9:49 PM
This may be vaguely familiar to some of you, because I posted a question about the application of Mahohey's. Here is the rest of the story:

I applied Mahoney's Utility finish to this cherry salad bowl and then applied Mahoney's Oil Wax Finish over the top. I applied both the same day, so the Utility Finish didn't have time to "cure". For several weeks, the Utility Finish oozed out of the wood. I set the bowl out in the sun on several occasions, as I was instructed to do by several of you. The bowl finally dried, but the surface was irregular and almost flakey. I tried sanding, and the sandpaper just gummed up. I tried washing the bowl several times and scrubbed with a blue Scotch Pad. This is the result. A dry, pale looking bowl that looks like it has been used for years. There are still a few areas that look slick and shiney. Do I re-apply the utility finish? Re-turn with a vacuum chuck? Start over? The cherry was dry and sanded to 600 prior to the initial application. 214245214246214247214248

David DeCristoforo
11-29-2011, 9:56 PM
You need to get after this with mineral spirits or turpentine (lots) and steel wool. Either will dissolve and "flush out" the residue from your failed attempt.

John Keeton
11-29-2011, 9:57 PM
Eric, my guess is that you have successfully removed most of the oil and finish, but are left with the waxy residue. Have you tried cleaning it with mineral spirits, Acetone and/or naptha to remove the wax? I would try that, and start over with some stripper of some sort. You certainly have a mess!!

As an aside, nice wood and good job on the bowl!

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Another vote for mineral spirits and a little elbow grease. Looking forward to the seeing the bowl once cleaned up!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I had this happen the first time I used both of Mahoney's finish. I did not let the finish cure and didn't know about the sunlight. If it were me I would wipe down with mineral spirits and steel wool/synthetic wool let dry completely and start over with your finish. I let Mahoney's sit for at least two weeks or more in ambient sunlight. In fact on my own bowls I don't apply the wax. Every year I just renew with the oil. Walnut oil is not one that can be rushed.

Sid Matheny
11-29-2011, 10:56 PM
I would have to try all of the above! Too nice of hunk of wood and nicely shaped bowl to give up on. Hang in there and looking forward to seeing it cleaned and finished.

Sid

Eric Gourieux
11-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks, guys. Mineral spirits it is!

Baxter Smith
11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Thats going to be a good looking bowl! Eventually!