PDA

View Full Version : beech blank for wooden plane, question

Martin Rock
11-29-2011, 8:31 PM
Hi All

Today I have cut a nice 14" in diameter, 12 long beech log into moulding plane blanks and two medium size wooden plane (probably smoothing and scraping plane)

The blanks are quarter sawn, About half of the log was heartwood.

While having fun at the bandsaw I noticed that the blanks where compose about 50% heart wood 50% sapwood.

Is this something to worry about?, Is heart wood prefered to sapwood for wooden plane? My plan is to keep the heartwood for the sole of the plane.

Anyway it is too late know, I could not have done it otherwise, but would like to know for next time, maybe looking for that log that has more heartwood to offer.

thanks for comments

Martin

Trevor Walsh
11-29-2011, 10:15 PM
The grain orientation should actually run bark side as the sole, with grain running toe to heel. Check out Old Street Tools article on why beech for planemaking, as I think they talk about heart/sapwood in planes.

David Weaver
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure what OST says, but one of my WPINCA books, or one maybe the WNY planemaker's book says bark side down because the outside of the tree is the hardest.

As far as a mix of heart and sap, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the wood is completely dry when you make a plane out of it.

I got some KD 8/4 stock not long ago and it is almost dead QS, and it still moved some acclimating to my shop. Cherry and walnut don't do that sort of thing.

Keep your eye on that wood, I'm thinking that you'll find a good bit of it might get ruined from checking and cracking as it dries, but you may get lucky and have that not happen.