View Full Version : longer Hafele closet bar source?

Dave Lewis
11-29-2011, 6:31 PM
I place an order for 8' Hafele closet bars from kehardware.com dba buyhafele (I need 52" bars)

Although they initially accepted my web-order for 2 bars, they then e-mailed that minimum order quantity is 12 ea.

Rockler sells the Hafele bars in shorter lenghts, but who sells the longer bars?

Comparable brand? (looking for something classier than a galvanized steel bar, or those plastic covers).

Larry Edgerton
11-29-2011, 7:19 PM
I use copper pipe in closets all of the time. Up to 4' with 1" and up to 5' with 1 1/4", and will run to 65" with 1 1/2". Looks nice, especially if you polish and lacquer, is amazingly strong [there is steel in plumbing pipe], and is available in any length you need at your local plumbing shop. my wife has it so overloaded [Too many cloths!]in my house its insane, and yet no deflection.

Just a thought.....

Larry

Peter Quinn
11-29-2011, 8:10 PM
Google "Metal Closet Rods". i found lots of options, one being the ubiquitous Home Depot. Not sure which finish Hafele rods you were shooting for. Chrome and brass are not hard to come by in 8' lengths. You might also try Onlinemetals.com for a variety of metal tubes that are not sold as closet rods but could certainly function as such.

or try these guys who also cut custom lengths.

http://www.closetbay.com/Round-1-1/16-inch-Rods-Hardware/View-all-products/

Von Bickley
11-29-2011, 8:16 PM
I used 1" EMT....... Can't see it for all the clothes.

Jamie Buxton
11-29-2011, 8:34 PM
These are those closet rods that are oval in cross section? Home Depot does stock them, and I think in 8' lengths. Failing that, www.wwhardware.com has them.

Charles Brown
11-29-2011, 9:11 PM
Dave, I've got a bunch of the 8 footers here in Atlanta if you are in the area and would like to pick some up. This is not the round wardrobe rail but the one that is oval in cross section.

Jeff Duncan
11-30-2011, 1:41 PM
Not sure which rods your looking for, but I usually use the heavy duty 1-3/16" chromed poles which I can buy locally up to 12' long. You may want to look around your are for a local builders supply house. Alternatively if you list your location in your profile you may find responses from someone local to you.

good luck,
JeffD

George Gyulatyan
11-30-2011, 1:54 PM
Dave, where are you located? Here in LA I would go to Industrial Metal Supply for anything metal. They have stainless steel, brass, aluminum, etc pipes as well as closet accessories that would work well.

In any case, see if you can locate metal working suppliers in your area. Just as with lumber yards for woodworking, you're likely to get better quality and lower prices through them, compared to name brand or Rockler for example.