PDA

View Full Version : Gravograph: Won't take care of a loyal customer (spent over 80k)

Lou Anderson
11-29-2011, 4:37 PM
I've bought three IS400 volumes (one less than 3 weeks ago) and a couple M20's. We bought GS6 Discovery with our still new machine (not even opened!) and then Gravograph goes and releases GS7. Called up our salesman since we actually need another M20 right now, and asked politely if they'd consider upgrading the GS6 we just bought. Nope, is basically what they told us.

I've never asked for a handout from this company. Never. Been loyal and spent over $80k on their equipment. The kicker is if they would have upgraded this new machine to GS7 i was going to upgrade two other workstations that are on GS6 and buy a brand new ($2,000) copy of GS7 for an M20 workstation. Would have been $3,600 worth of software for them.

Mike Null
11-30-2011, 8:32 AM
I believe everything you said. I ran into a customer service situation with them ten years or so back and swore I would never give them another dime of my money. Too bad because their machines are great. I was able to sell the machine for what I paid.

Lou Anderson
11-30-2011, 9:05 AM
I believe everything you said. I ran into a customer service situation with them ten years or so back and swore I would never give them another dime of my money. Too bad because their machines are great. I was able to sell the machine for what I paid.

Yea, machines are great but I firmly believe the company has 0 concept of customer service. What i'm asking for has a direct financial impact on Gravograph of maybe $40 (CD +dongle). So instead of 'investing' that $40 into a loyal customer they just lost a sale for $3,600 worth of new software. Talk about short sighted.

Scott Shepherd
11-30-2011, 9:13 AM
I can't comment Gravograph, but I can say you aren't alone in your experiences with a number of companies these days. I honestly don't know who's running some of these companies today and what their qualifications are, but some companies seem to be so short sighted in dealing with customers. In todays world, with the internet and Google at everyone's fingertips, sometimes you just have to make things right, even if it costs you a little cash out of your pocket. In your case, they could have made it right and had a happy customer that continues to do business with them. Instead, they now have bad press online, where people that are looking for equipment search first. Let's assume for a minute it costs them 1 sale. Just 1. The lost revenue from that 1 sale would exceed what they could have lost in your transaction. So just 1 lost sale makes them upside down in the transaction. Now, assume it's 10 people that don't buy machines, which it could easily be. Just really poor business skills in my opinion.

Lou Anderson
11-30-2011, 9:14 AM
Another stupid thing about Gravograph that always ticks me off. You buy a $25,000 machine, on the invoice they try to hide a swatch of material samples (gravoply, etc) that YOU have to pay for. Not only did i just hand them a huge chunk of change, but they have the audacity to try and charge me money for product samples of THEIR products.

And how about the last time my IS400 had the control unit die. Let's talk about that story. Promised an overnight replacement. Nope - customer service dropped the ball on it and didn't ship it (couldn't get an answer why even though i was promised it was shipping out same-day). Get them to ship the control unit a day late and then they ship the wrong model. Obviously frustrated i call them up and explain the situation. They overnight a second control unit which is ALSO the wrong unit.

There is one good person there in tech support and his name is Dallas. Seems like the only person i've ever talked to that actually knows what the heck is going on.

With all this negative talk I should at least try to balance it out by saying i've had great luck with Universal Laser and especially our rep John Volkmar. Polar opposite of Gravograph. They understand customers and go out their way to make sure they are happy. We've invested in multiple industrial series lasers and have been happy with the service and support we get. I think the problem is Gravograph does not have enough legitimate competition.

Randy Digby
11-30-2011, 8:32 PM
I'm getting a used M-40 ready to sell and since it has been in storage for two years, I decided to purchase a new spindle motor. Here was their deal: Purchase a new motor for $630.00 or send my existing motor in and then they send me a new motor for over $500.00 (was so upset by the terms, I don't remember the exact amount). I asked if I could purchase the new motor, swap it out and then send them the old motor...the answer was no. I just purchased the new motor outright to limit my business with them, plus the old motor runs as good as the new one.

They make great equipment and I would have purchased more from them over the years except for the lessons I learned when I purchased the M-40. I went to their facility and had them demo several machines. I purchased the M-40 and software that day and brought it home. Once I got it running, I would call up and ask something like "How do I radius the corners of a rectangle?", to which the answer would be, "Oh, you need a software add-on for XX $". I had to make several of those purchases just to be able to produce very basic products. A year after that purchase, we purchase a Roland machine when we needed to expand and two years ago when we went laser, I never gave Gravograph a thought. Now, I feel better - thank you all very much.

Glen Monaghan
12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I honestly don't know who's running some of these companies today and what their qualifications are, but some companies seem to be so short sighted in dealing with customers.

Customers...

Liesl Dexheimer
12-01-2011, 8:31 AM
We had problems with our machine about 6 or 7 yrs ago. It was such a pain trying to get the control module fixed, at the time we were under warranty. They would send us a replacement but it wouldn't work. Happened twice, by the 3rd time it finally worked. I am not a fan of Gravograph by any means. They love to control their machines (by use of a dongle) & software (a rip-off if you ask me). I still use GravoStyle 98, don't dare invest in newer software plus our machine is over 13 yrs old now. I will say that their machines are workhorses, that much they have going for them but that's it.

Ross Moshinsky
02-07-2012, 2:46 PM
I had to bump this thread.

As you can see in my signature, we've been using Gravograph/New Hermes for a while.

Worst customer service in the industry. We've had some issues with the engraving quality on our LS100 for a little while now. Every time I've called, they talk about the lens and the mirror. If it's not that, they want me to spend $700 to have a tech visit. Today I called hoping maybe I'd get a semi-knowledgeable tech rep to help. I told him the issue and he basically told me that it because I wasn't using Gravograph's plastic he couldn't help me trouble shoot. I told him I have 11 years of experience and I know how to set power and speed. The material is not the issue (it shows on just about everything but becomes particularly obvious on plastic/acrylic). He basically said if it wasn't a broken or dirty lens/mirror, he couldn't offer me any help and it was specifically because I wasn't using Gravograph's plastic.

I strongly urge you not to buy their machines. Worst customer service in the industry. I've held this opinion for a while but never felt urged to voice it. I no longer have to worry about any negative ramifications because they do not offer good service no matter what, so what am I afraid of?

Gary Hair
02-07-2012, 3:16 PM
Ross,
I am usually not in favor of putting money in the pockets of a bad business, but, why not buy the smallest piece of their plastic you can buy and test it out, you might even be able to get a free sample. It's pretty certain to come out bad and that might get you the service you need.

Gary

Mike Null
02-07-2012, 4:00 PM
Ross

Is the LS 100 the one that was made by Universal? If so, maybe they could help.

Ross Moshinsky
02-07-2012, 4:17 PM
Ross,
I am usually not in favor of putting money in the pockets of a bad business, but, why not buy the smallest piece of their plastic you can buy and test it out, you might even be able to get a free sample. It's pretty certain to come out bad and that might get you the service you need.

Gary

Because I know better. All he wanted to do was check my power settings vs what they had in their computer. I was running at 100 power and 60 speed and I was getting plenty of depth but the engraver was missing spots in the letters. Running twice still results in poor engraving quality. It had nothing to do with with material or my settings. It has everything to do with the laser not working properly.

He was literally clueless besides talking about the mirror, lens, and power/speed settings. This has been the same for the last 4 reps we've spoken to. I asked about the fact the bearing block on the rail seems to be out of spec (it's got a bit of play in it) and he didn't seem interested in discussing that issue. Nor did he seem interested in discussing possible alignment issues, the board being bad, or a bad tube. He was only interested in talking about speed, power, and optics. Beyond that was a $700 visit from repair person to diagnose the machine.

Ross

Is the LS 100 the one that was made by Universal? If so, maybe they could help.

I'll have to look into that. I was unaware that Universal and Gravograph had a partnership at some point.

Mike Mackenzie
02-07-2012, 5:47 PM
Ross,

New Hermes systems from 1998 - 2000 were made by Universal I do not believe that the LS 100 was made by Universal I believe they were 2007 models. Meistergram also had a system that was called LS100 and LS100E these were both built by Universal I believe these date back even earlier.

Look at the serial number tag if it was manufactured by someone else then it will state that on this tag.