PDA

View Full Version : I got the wood spinning, the gouge cutting and now it is up to me.

Ed Lang
03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I got the gouges sharpened, correctly! (or at least close)

I'll post pictures of what I tested the sharpening job on below.

First time doing this stuff and having a ball.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/17001569-M.jpg
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/17001594-M.jpg
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/17001593-M.jpg

Now I need to start to work on the skew! So far I have managed to get a LARGE catch and become afraid of that thing. One day, I'll get that too.

Thanks everyone for helping!

Ted Shrader
03-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Wow, Ed -

Look like you have got it!

Ted

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-07-2005, 12:10 PM
He He WE GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess we used the RIGHT grease on "the slippery slope!"

Good work, too.

Bruce

Bob Hovde
03-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Wow! I wish I could find spalted wood to use for PRACTICE!!

Bob

Darren Ford
03-07-2005, 1:03 PM
If I could practice like Ed just did, the wood wouldn't matter :) :)

Awesome Ed.

Steve Stube
03-07-2005, 1:06 PM
If that is PRACTICE Ed, I'd say you got the "hang" of it the first time. Very nice!

Ed Lang
03-07-2005, 2:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words... You gotta remember who has been helping me...... all the good folks at Saw Mill Creek!

The story on the spalted wood is quite funny. I asked for Bill Grumbines DVD for Christmas. It was ordered late and did not get here for Christmas day but Bill shipped quickly and I got it shortly after. I was helping my son cut wood at his Uncle's place to make some rent money before going back to Nashville just after Christmas. This oak tree was down and green. After cutting and splitting all day, I picked up several chunks before splitting it and brought them home. My wife and I painted the ends with latex paint to stop the checking. I now learn I should have used oil based paing but hey, I am new to this. The wood sat in my shop in the corner and started to check, from the pith, just like Bill Grumbines DVD said. I also noticed that there was some mold under the wood, on the concrete floor side. I moved the wood and turned it end to end.

Now move ahead in time to this past weekend. I decide that the wood is no good for bowls so I take one chunk to the bandsaw and split it down the middle. WOW! Next I set up the fence on the bandsaw and resaw almost all of the log into 1" thick boards and sticker them in the shop for jewlery boxes later this year. I have a chunk left over and decided to put it between centers and just rough if round to practice. One think let to another and what you see is what I ended up with.

I have several more 20" to 24" long 12" diameter logs in the shop from the same tree so maybe I'll get lucky and have more of it that is spalted!

My wife now has some for making jewlery on the scroll saw as well.

And YES, you guys did use the correct grease on the slope to catch me.

I am already saving up for a larger lathe!

Ed Scolforo
03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Ed: Nice job! I especially like the form on the smaller bowl. Gives us newbies something to strive for. Keep up the good work!
Ed

Glenn Hodges
03-08-2005, 7:30 PM
Good work Ed, glad to see you enjoying yourself. It feels good to make these round things when you are working with sharp tools doesn't it? Try a good rule of design, if you would like, and make the bottom 1/3 the diameter of the top's diameter. You will produce a very pleasing looking bowl.

lou sansone
03-08-2005, 9:31 PM
excellent work... I am impressed with your ability to judge proportion and shape as well as you have with those vessels. very well done! If this is the first you have done, either you have beginners luck or you may really have a gift.

lou

Ed Lang
03-09-2005, 8:13 AM
You guys are swelling my head!

I don't think I'll quit my day job just yet.

Remember, I am just now learning how to sharpen those pointy and round things you hold to the spinning thing so those long wet stringy things will be released so I can sweep them up later... works.

Dale Thompson
03-09-2005, 8:16 PM
[QUOTE=Ed Lang]
Now I need to start to work on the skew! So far I have managed to get a LARGE catch and become afraid of that thing. One day, I'll get that too.

Ed,
EXCEPTIONAL WORK!! :D Unlike me, you are obviously a "natural" with a lot of artistic talent. One thought, don't give up on the skew! ;)

Way back when, I virtually quit turning for over a year because of the "cursed" skew. It seemed like I was always on my last "skim" cut with the skew when BANG!!! - My project was instant scrap. :mad:

For some reason, I took another look at my Raffan video and decided to try his "radiused" skew. It eliminated the scary looking straight "dagger" appearance of the skew and seemed to focus the cut at a single point instead of along an entire bevel. At this point, my "Raffan radiused" 3/4" skew is my "best buddy". I only use my gouges when absolutely necessary such as hollowing face-plate stuff and cutting certain coves. Although I NEVER get catches, if I did I would guess that they would be more from my gouges than from my skew. ;) :D :D

Remember also that the skew will give you a much better surface finish than will a gouge. In addition, if you're in a hurry, your skew will round your cylinder faster that a "roughing" gouge. The skew is also much easier to sharpen.

Ed, sorry for the boring dissertation on the subject. My opinion may be "skewed" by my lack of talent so don't get "gouged" by a single opinion! ;) :cool:

Dale T.