PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

Adam Blanton
11-29-2011, 1:02 PM
Just wanted to post my introduction.

I'm relatively new to woodworking and after some research have decided to go about it the neander way, figured I could equip my shop piece by piece for about the price of a nice cabinet saw and considering I'm not in any rush it would also be a good way to learn the craft. So far, I've talked to a few woodworkers in the Austin area, and taken a few classes with both hand and power tools. After reading a few books I've taken a liking to the anarchist's toolchest and like how it has a layout and explanation of some of the basic tools that work for building furniture.

Currently in the process of converting our 2 car garage to a shop, just tore down a wall separating the 2 garages so I've got a nice space to get things going.

After looking into a few more books on the subject, I saw some high recommendations of the Jointer and the Cabinietmaker, along with the plans in it for some basic projects. I was going to tackle some of those builds as my first few independent projects.

I've been lurking in the forums for a little while now and appreciate all the knowledge and advice!

Zach Dillinger
11-29-2011, 1:06 PM
Adam,

Welcome. If you are looking for basic information, I might suggest The Complete Woodworker by Bernard Jones. Covers a huge amount of info on hand tools and how to use them. Also, you might like Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis. Both excellent books to learn from. Of course, we here on the Creek are happy to help as well.

Zach

Chris Griggs
11-29-2011, 1:11 PM
Hi Adam! Welcome to the Creek - this is a great group of folks to dork out with on woodworking discussions. Completing some basic projects is the best way to learn woodworking IMHO, your off to a good start with that book and taking classes

P.S. Jim Koepke will post soon to say "Welcome to the Creek, your profile does not say your location" and then suggest that you try to find some more woodworkers near you (ha! beat you to it Jim:D) - (although I see that you mention the Austin area). Anyway, he and many others here can offer you a lot of great advice. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from Jim K, David W, George W, Derek C, and many others.

Bruce Page
11-29-2011, 1:21 PM
Adam, welcome to SMC!

bob blakeborough
11-29-2011, 1:46 PM
Welcome man! Being a Neander geek is something to be proud of... Soon you will be sporting patchy bald spots of arm hair with the pride!

Chris Griggs
11-29-2011, 1:51 PM
Austin's a fun town. Even better, Lie-Nielsen Toolworks does a show out there like once or twice a year (although I have yet to make the 8 hr drive to go to one yet). Looks like they're coming in a few weeks, Jan. 13th and 14 (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/?pg=103). I suggest you block off your weekend to attend the event. Even if you don't intend to buy anything, I'm told you will learn a lot.

Trevor Walsh
11-29-2011, 5:00 PM
For books I'd recommend The Essential Woodworker and Made by Hand. Welcome to the Porch as it were. (If you don't know of the Old Tools List) look us up on Google.

Eric Brown
11-29-2011, 5:38 PM
Hi Adam. Sawmill Creek is a very good starting point for all woodworking things. Most of the books referenced are good.
The only real problem with all reading material though is you can't learn the "feel" of what you are trying to do.
That only comes from experience. One of the first things I would recommend is a good solid bench. Nothing fancy. You don't even need vices. They are a convience. With the right clamps and stops you can do most anything. Find a good source of quality wood. Even if you want to do mostly hand tools, a bandsaw for resawing is a strong exception. Spend time learning how to sharpen. Ron Hock has a great book on this. Either go to an event or find someone who can show you sharp. This is critical. Without it you will not do very well. After that, practice a lot. Before you work on a project, warm up with some practice cuts. It won't take long.

Enjoy the craft. Eric