11-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Thought I would share this.

Fill clean-up has always been an issue with me. I always have had a problem
with either masking or smearing the fill. This is what I have been doing on
on smooth surface plaques such as Piano Finish and JDS Hi-Gloss Mahogahny
Series.

First I engrave the plaque then do a quick (light clean) with Endust to remove
the resin from the burn.

Second I fill with an acrylic color and quick wipe with a soft rag to remove excess.
I let it dry for a few minutes then take Novus 2 fine scratch remover put a dab on
my fingertip and gently rub over the surface. Then take a soft rag (clean) and buff
up. This works like a charm for me. This way I don't have to mask and is easy to
do. Plus it buffs the plaques to a hi-gloss finish.

This only works for smooth plaques as the grain will catch the fills in other plaques.

Johnson Plastics has some great micro-fiber towels. I bought them for dye sub, but
they were not 100% pol,y so colors were muted. They turned out though, to be the perfect
soft towels for the shop! ;-)

Bruce Clumpner
12-03-2011, 5:02 PM
Martin,

What is the Acrylic material you use, Testors paint or another brand?

-bc

Martin Boekers
12-04-2011, 4:53 PM
Martin,

What is the Acrylic material you use, Testors paint or another brand?

-bc

I believe Testors is oil based, they may make an acrylic not sure. I bought mine from Laser Bits (Pro Fill) a bit expensive.
but I mostly use gold and silver so I buy the large bottles last me 6 months are so. Is you go by Michaels or Hobby Lobby type
stores (even some Walmarts have them) they have a variety in colors in small bottles (4oz) for under $1 ea. I use the water based
stuff for this as it's easy to clean up. JDS Hi-Gloss Plaques are very nice for the money and easy to work with filling. Plus the polish
shines it up nicely at the same time!

Bruce Clumpner
12-04-2011, 6:30 PM
Martin,

Thanks for the info.. I use JDS plaques all the time, but burn through transfer tape as a mask for rattle-can krylon gold and silver. Your method seems much easier.

Martin Boekers
12-04-2011, 7:16 PM
You'll be happy I assure you! I used to mask too and it drove me nuts! Keep a few cloths handy as after you wipr there
is still some wet paint on it and it will re-smear. This process takes a few minutes instead of many!

Todd Suire
12-11-2011, 10:49 PM
I also use the JDS plaques. For fill I've only tried Rub n Buff. I apply a bit to the engraving and after a few seconds (it seems to dry pretty fast) I buff it off with a small hand-held car buffer. If there's any tough spots of residue remaining, I spray a little furniture polish on the buffing bonnet and buff again.

Since I started doing this, color filling plaques have been a breeze.