PDA

View Full Version : Well look what the cats dragged in....

Chris Griggs
11-29-2011, 9:10 AM

I know what your thinking, "whats with this dude and his cats???" - hey, everyone needs shop companions....

Any, just a quick gloat.... My LN bronze infill shoulder plane arrived yesterday. Sure is a beaut! And man is it small - which was sorta the point. Actually, now that I've held it, it may be just bit too small. It's actually fair bit smaller (mainly in height) then it looks in the hand of the women who is in the LN video - she clearly has very small hands. On one had I'm thrilled that at how small it is (once again that was the point). Its is very comfortable to hold in one hand, very nimble, and clearly able to go where other plane's can't. However, I'm not sure I'll be able to get a good enough grip on it to actually push it through the wood - the palm rest on the wedge is a fair bit lower than I thought so I'm not sure I'll really get good registration on it with my palm - I now see the brilliance in the big up sweeping palm rests on the LV detail rabbet plane. My mitts might bit to big for it. Anyway, that's not a complaint, just something I'm pointing out for others who might be considering buying a small shoulder/rabbet plane. I am thrilled to have this little thing in my possession. Haven't actually use it yet, since I'm still figuring out what to do with it. May keep it, may see about swapping it out for the slightly bigger 041, may use it for while and if later on I decide it's too small, sell it and get the small LV or LN 041. Anyway, it's a very cool little plane, and clearly could prove to be very handy - I haven't used many wedged planes put setting the blade is very easy, which is exciting.

Gloaty pics below...

Zach England
11-29-2011, 9:19 AM
Good kitty.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-29-2011, 9:45 AM
My cat loves being in the "shop" with me, which isn't weird, because he likes to be in whatever room I'm in, but it's weird because he's skittish and weird, and will run away and hide if you use the coffee grinder, decide to move furniture or even set up the ironing board. But he's perfectly happy to hang out with me the back room, sometimes even sitting on the bench, even if I'm making a heck of a racket ripping a boards for an hour.
Have to be careful about cleanup though - sometimes they'll make a nest in the shavings if I just sweep them into a pile and don't bag 'em up.

Oh yeah, the plane . . . Looks sweet! You're a woodworker, if you don't like the feel of the palm rest on the wedge, make a new one! If nothing else though, the thing looks darn classy.

I need to get me a shoulder plane.

Chris Griggs
11-29-2011, 9:50 AM
Have to be careful about cleanup though - sometimes they'll make a nest in the shavings if I just sweep them into a pile and don't bag 'em up.

My bigger fear is that they'll confuse the pile of shavings with a litter box.... :D (Seriously!).

Jim Koepke
11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
My bigger fear is that they'll confuse the pile of shavings with a litter box.... :D (Seriously!).

One of our cats does that. She gets run out of the shop whenever she comes in.

The other cat comes in and looks for mice. He is welcome.

One of the chickens comes in and just looks around. I tend to shoo her out because chickens leave calling cards without even thinking about it.

It is kind of funny that out of nine chickens, only one is curious about the shop.

jtk

Archie England
11-29-2011, 6:53 PM
Congrats Chris! That's a work of art for producing further art work :)