PDA

View Full Version : What a day!!!

Chris Lee
03-07-2005, 8:42 AM
I could not think of a better way to spend a Saturday. I had a great time at Bill Grumbine's and learned more than I thought I would. We did some basic bowl work and then moved in to a natural edge bowl. I think I did ok for my first natural edge bowl. Below are some pics from the day. I must say to anyone that is interested in learning to turn bowls to get Bill's DVD and then go spend a day with him. I learned so much from the vide and then working with him really brings it all together. It was really amazing how fast the day went. I only wish I could have made it a weekend trip.

Chris

Chris Lee
03-07-2005, 8:46 AM
couple more pics

Barry Horner
03-07-2005, 9:04 AM
Chris,

Very nice work bet you are proud. Looks like that was a great learning experience and a lot of fun. Not to get off topic here, but I would also be curious to know your impressions of the PoolWood Lathe?
once again great job on the bowls.

Barry

Jim Becker
03-07-2005, 9:19 AM
Looks like you had a great time, Chris!! Spending a day with Bill is a worthy activity, IMHO.

(An avitar for you attached!)

Chris Lee
03-07-2005, 9:22 AM
Barry,

The Poolewood is the nicest thing that I have ever turned on. I have never turned on a Oneway or Stubby so take what I say with a grain of salt. It was a very smooth machine and a delight to turn on. If you look at the large blank in the pics that was about 15 inches rough and out of round. We got it up to 600 rpms with no vibration. There was wood shavings everywhere. I meant to take a pic but forgot. I had wood chips up to my knees. So ai would say it was definitely a good lathe. The only problem is they are not available anymore.

Chris

Jeff Sudmeier
03-07-2005, 9:39 AM
Chris,

Looks like you had a great time! To spend time will Bill would be a very valuable experience! Congrats on the good work.

Ed Scolforo
03-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Chris: Looks like fun! Now I REALLY can't wait to spend the day with Bill in May!

Ed

Chris Lee
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Ed,

You will have a blast. Wear comfy shoes. Standing in front of a lathe for 8 hours will wear on you. Did not really notice it until I woke up Sunday!
Chris

Bill Grumbine
03-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Chris

After seeing these pictures, I can definitely say that I really have to get that shop cleaned! Warmer weather is coming though, and I will be able to open the big doors soon. Of course I don't think that will do me much good, but I will feel like I have more room. We all enjoyed your visit, and Lisa was very happy to see us loading logs up into your truck. She wants me to get that section of the yard back to actual yard again, so I was able to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I see you got that core roughed out, and it is looking good. I am going to do the other half of that log today, if all goes well.

Good luck with finishing them off.

Bill

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Lookin' GOOD, Chris!

Bruce

John Shuk
03-07-2005, 4:21 PM
Looking real good Chris. After watching Bill's video I'd say it really is the best bowl turning video out there. That Poolewood IS one sweet machine to turn on as well. It's expensive but man it is sweet. I'm hoping my friend Matt never puts in his will that I get his lathe cause he'll be a dead man!

Jessica Singer
03-07-2005, 4:30 PM
Beautiful job on those Bowls.....

Hey Chris....I love the bowl in that first photo - With the natural raw edge....
That finished/unfinished look is very hot right now...

I love how the beauty of the wood is captured in more ways than one.

Hey Bill... Last I checked, my dad's woodshop was way messier than yours!!!

Glenn Hodges
03-07-2005, 6:33 PM
I envy you having a day with Bill. After I was up there I liked the Poolewood so much I bought one.