PDA

View Full Version : Robo Hippy, what do you use to check bowl depth ?

Joe Watson
11-29-2011, 2:19 AM
Thought i would ask this in public incase others would like to know.

Watched acouple of your vids (thanks) and notice you measure from the head stock to the face of a bowl, then you use something else (which you keep in your back pocket) and reference that on the scale.

Is the "reference stick" cut to a length equal to the distance from jaw face to head stock ??

Top secret or can you share ?

-

Reed Gray
11-29-2011, 1:41 PM
It is measuring. I cut a stick that is the exact measure from the headstock to the face of the jaws. I call it a cheater stick because that way I don't have to do the math in my head, which works better some days than others. Take a tape measure, and measure from the headstock to the rim of the bowl, say 12 inches. Place the end of the cheater stick on that mark. Stick that into the center of the bowl, and site across the rim. The distance between the end of the stick and the rim of the bowl is exactly how much wood there is between the bottom of the bowl and the jaws of your chuck. You can do this with natural edge bowls by standing up a speed square on some plywood and using it as the edge of your bowl. I will get a clip of that up soon. You can know the bottom thickness to within 1/16 inch.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2011, 4:14 PM
Thanks Reed. Great info.

Dan Forman
11-29-2011, 4:19 PM
That's one of the tips I picked up from his Coring video, works great.

Dan

Joe Watson
11-30-2011, 2:09 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Rick Markham
11-30-2011, 3:11 AM
Yeah, that's a neat trick! I will be using that :) Thanks for sharing Reed!

Reed Gray
11-30-2011, 12:38 PM
The cheater stick length can vary with different chucks, so check before you get a bowl on them, and I keep several of them handy. They seem to disappear in the shavings.

robo hippy