PDA

View Full Version : replacement lens besides OEM, laser research and china

Zsolt Paul
11-29-2011, 1:23 AM
I had ordered from laser research in the past and have been very happy with them. However, I am reading about some folks paying sub $50 for their lenses. Laser research is about $150. I only found lenses from china for less than that, which take too long to get to me. (I did see some others in US, but none of them had the 1" diameter I need) Are there any other US resellers that might have these chinese lenses in stock? I am hoping to find something somewhere in between laser research and china in cost, but with a faster turn around time than getting it from china. Thanks!

Uros Sovilj
11-29-2011, 7:10 AM
In general shipping from China with DHL or FEDEX shouldnt take longer than 3 days. So with customs delay not more than 5 days. Shiping with their account (you pay transport with invoice) will be around 25 usd.

Martin Boekers
11-29-2011, 10:39 AM
I bought a lens about a year ago from Epilog $125.00 it came from these guys you may want to check
them out.

www.iiviinfrared.com/ (http://www.iiviinfrared.com/)

Coming from a Photography background all lenses are not the equal. Make sure you get a quality lens
if buying from a "discount house" Think as if you were putting a new lense in your eye would you rather
have a discounted one from a generic company or one from an optical company that specializes in them?

Again, chose a high quality optic that gives you the highest quality transmission. You may be happy with good
enough, but with an investment in the laser make sure your optics maximize the transmission.

$150 if the lense is of high quality shouldn't be the deal breaker as this is the final factor in beam quality.

Just some thoughts.

Greg Bednar
11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
I can only speak of my experience with Epilog. After factoring in all possible variables it is faster and easier to order direct from Epilog. I ordered a mirror and lens to keep around in the event I need to change one out. I can not complain one iota about their quality and shipment to me, no matter who is their actual manufacturer. IMHO and FWIW.

Martin Boekers
11-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Greg, Your right on all counts. It doesn't take much time wasted or damaged pieces to make it cost effective.
I always keep an extra belt, lens, and a few items that I feel are maintainence items on hand, even though I typically can
get things within 24hrs from Epilog.

I had some time over the weekend and while doing standard cleaning I looked at the lense in one of my engravers, a few minor
issues (what I thought) so I ran a test with the old and new. What a difference it made. I was shocked! The lense didn't
look that bad. I may set up a schedule to test the lense a few times a year now. It may be time to get a few mirrors also!

Ken Shea
11-29-2011, 6:25 PM
Paul,
Don't suppose you can use 25mm ?

They have those at lightobject.com

Zsolt Paul
11-29-2011, 9:52 PM
Paul,Don't suppose you can use 25mm ?They have those at lightobject.comThanks for the lead, but I only found 25mm mirrors, not lenses.

Rodne Gold
11-30-2011, 12:45 AM
You can actually just make a holder out of acrylic or whatever and use a smaller lens if you want. Makes no real difference.

Zsolt Paul
11-30-2011, 1:52 AM
Paul,Don't suppose you can use 25mm ?They have those at lightobject.com
You can actually just make a holder out of acrylic or whatever and use a smaller lens if you want. Makes no real difference.Interesting. Yeah, I guess it wouldn't. ...except that my lens is held in place with screws at the edges. Would I glue the lens to the acrylic?

Rodne Gold
11-30-2011, 2:23 AM
Only the centre of the lens is used , you can glue the lens at the edges and use the screws to hold the new holder in place. I have tested a new $300-500 lens from GCC vs a cheap $15 chinese "imported" one and they give the same results , focus needs to be tested as mine was 2mm shorter.

Zsolt Paul
11-30-2011, 9:43 AM
What kind of glue would you use to bond the lens and acrylic? I am thinking a CA (such as "crazy glue") type of glue perhaps? do you have a better suggestion?

Martin Boekers
11-30-2011, 9:45 AM
Only the centre of the lens is used.

In theory, yes. That is as long as we make sure of our alignment. :-)

Martin Boekers
11-30-2011, 10:27 AM
In the realmn of camera lenses you would run into issues farther away from the center of the lenses.
That's where most of the aberations would occur.

Is there a grading system for laser lenses?

I know camera ones can be easily tested for actual resolution and transmission. Maybe pulling hairs
here as many don't keep up a standard cleaning schedule for lenses. I saw another shop's a laser the
other day that was having an issue. First thing I did was pull out the lense. I could hardly see through
it! I had them clean it with Acetone, not much help. I suggested investing in a new lens, probably
kick up efficiency 50% :)

Gary Hair
11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
In the realmn of camera lenses you would run into issues farther away from the center of the lenses.
That's where most of the aberations would occur.

That is a good point Martin - cameras need the lens to be perfect throughout the entire lens, lasers only need the center 1/8" or so.

Gary

Ken Shea
11-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the lead, but I only found 25mm mirrors, not lenses.

I had emailed them about this on your behalf and they said they had 20 and 25mm in 50.8 and 75mm focal length.

You might email or call if it would work out that you could use 25mm.

Ken

Zsolt Paul
11-30-2011, 2:24 PM
Only the centre of the lens is used , you can glue the lens at the edges and use the screws to hold the new holder in place. I have tested a new $300-500 lens from GCC vs a cheap $15 chinese "imported" one and they give the same results , focus needs to be tested as mine was 2mm shorter.

Rodney, where do you buy your $15 lenses? I emailed Shenhui couple days ago with no reply so far....

Zsolt Paul
11-30-2011, 2:27 PM

I had emailed them about this on your behalf and they said they had 20 and 25mm in 50.8 and 75mm focal length.

You might email or call if it would work out that you could use 25mm.

Ken

Thanks very much! I appreciate you initiating the email q. I called them and he will get back to me about if and how much for 101 mm focal length and 25mm diameter.