PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell / Delta 15-655 Drill Press?’s

richard poitras
11-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Rockwell / Delta 15-655 Drill Press?’s

Does anyone know what color they originally came in and if they are decent machines and are they easy to work on and get parts for if needed. Were there any problem that they are known to have or what to look for in one of these models if looking at one.
Thanks Richard

mickey cassiba
11-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Richard, I never had the pleasure of working on one of those, but I have worked on a lot of the more recent versions. Parts may be available yet, Delta, in it's Rockwell version, produced lots of parts that were stockpiled. 'Where' is the big question. Delta has changed hands a number of times since Rockwell ran the show. I know for a fact, that B&D scrapped a great number of older parts. As to ease of servicing, any reeves type mechanism can be problematic...lot's of spring pressure on the sheaves is the number one difficulty for home repairs, but a mechanically inclined guy(or gal) can figure out ways to overcome this. Look for wear grooves on the sheaves(driver and driven)as a great many of these machines were used in production situations on gang type set ups. Normally run at a single speed for long periods.
As to the color, Most of the later Rockwells were the familiar Battleship grey.
HTH

Bob Vallaster
11-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Richard,
I have one (Rockwell badge) in original paint. Everything below the hood is the standard Delta grey. The box hood and squarish casting behind the speed dial are a putty color.
It's a stout, precise machine, and it will outlast me. Mine looks to have lived an easy life: only one dimple on the table and no evidence of 'big hammer' abuse. The only setup changes I've made were to remotor it (single phase), replace the switch, install a work light and place the whole thing on a mobile base.
Ease to work with? The extent of my mechanical work so far has been to R&R the head for transport, R&R VS pulleys during remotor and R&R quill to inspect/lube. No problems... aside from the heft of the head.
A few, non-mechanical warts. Snaking a new electrical cord through the head casting would have been a real booger if I hadn't taped a pull-rope to the old chord when I removed it. And don't drop a nut for the switch into the hollow shared with the quill (inspires blue language and requires a magnet with flex neck... or dropping the quill).
Parts availability? Dunno about that; haven't had to go fetch any on this machine. The Vintage Machinery site (previously Old Woodworking Machinery.org) is a blessing; photos of old machines as-found and restored, and lots of scanned documentation contributed by enthusiasts. For example, see this one for your machine: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1141&tab=3 (http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1141&tab=3.)
Good luck with the project.

BobV

Ray Newman
11-29-2011, 1:39 AM
Parts from e-replacement:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-15655-type-1534-variable-speed-drill-press-parts-c-3275_3279_12582.html

richard poitras
11-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys there were two in my area that I was looking at but they seem a bit on the ruff side and they want in the $450.00 dollar range and are 2 hours away so I think I am going to keep looking, but with the help full information and parts info you guys supplied it helps me a lot when looking at one of these kinds of presses.
Richard