PDA

View Full Version : Need Sander that will not slow down it rotation

Joel Wesseling
11-28-2011, 9:53 PM
I have a dewalt ROS and rotaion slows down considerably for heavy sanding or when wet polishing shellac when shellac is smooth

I see there is some very expensive sanders. Will one of these do the job, say Festool?

Thanks, joel

Allen Breinig
11-28-2011, 10:09 PM
You might look into the Flex polisher. It has a forced rotation system. The car polishers use them to buff out paint. It wouldn't have dust collection unless it is an option that I haven't seen with it.

Dan Clark
11-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Festool sanders or Mirka Ceros. Ceros is VERY difficult to slow down. I like it better than my RO150.

Bruce Page
11-28-2011, 11:20 PM
If your sander is slowing down you're pushing down too hard and not letting the paper do its job. The weight of the sander and correct paper grit should be all that's needed. I have both Porter-Cable & Festool and can slow either one if I push hard enough.

Joel Wesseling
11-29-2011, 7:56 AM
When I'm wet polishing a cabinet the ROS slows down a lot and only from the weight of ther sander.
Maybe the sander has a problem

Variable speed Dewalt is about $100 wondering what advantages are in a 3 to $400 sander

Matt Day
11-29-2011, 8:39 AM
I don't think your sander should slow down from the weight of the sander. Mine sure doesn't (Bosch 5" VS).

Zach Callum
11-29-2011, 8:54 AM
I'm not sure that you even want to be wet polishing with an ROS....

Jimmy Horrocks
11-29-2011, 5:26 PM
Wet sand with an AIR powered ROS...Results may be less shocking. Its been known to happen.

Greg Portland
11-29-2011, 6:01 PM
I have a dewalt ROS and rotaion slows down considerably for heavy sanding or when wet polishing shellac when shellac is smooth

I see there is some very expensive sanders. Will one of these do the job, say Festool?

Thanks, joelA ROS will slow it's rotation with increased pressure (and cause swirl marks)... that's how they are designed. Festool's Rotex sanders have a mode that 'locks' the rotation offering performance similar to a rotary sander (or it can be used as a buffer). At low speeds it is not ultra aggressive... I've used it to sand paint and shellac finishes before. Note that the Rotex is less balanced and heavier than the Festool ROS options.

George Gyulatyan
11-29-2011, 8:25 PM
Wet sand with an AIR powered ROS...Results may be less shocking. Its been known to happen.
That took a moment to register :D :eek:

Kyle Iwamoto
11-29-2011, 8:53 PM

I completely agree on this......

Joel Wesseling
11-30-2011, 1:05 PM
That took a moment to register :D :eek:

OK I get it know. I use a GFI

Thanks the help. I'll have to play around some more