PDA

View Full Version : dust collection for the lathe

Joseph M Lary
11-28-2011, 8:19 PM
There was a guy that posted a video about a dust collector made out of a white drumb that mounted on the ways for sanding it fit over the chuck. cant find it under sanding . any help. the guy had a beard and did not like to ware a dust mask . that all i can come up with Thanks .

Jim Howe
11-28-2011, 8:24 PM
Search "Robo Hippie" on YouTube

Curt Fuller
11-28-2011, 8:50 PM
It's Reed Gray aka Robo Hippie. But I noticed he's removed the link from youtube. You could probably PM him and find out more about it though.

Here's a link to the post I think you were referring to...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174683-Sanding-hood

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174683-Sanding-hood)

Reed Gray
11-29-2011, 1:30 AM
I added a bit to the old clip, but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A&feature=feedu

I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A&feature=feedu)f you have a recycling center for old washing machines, the main tub is plastic. A bit thin, but it will work. An Aussie recommended the white sign board that looks like card board. It crimps one direction, and bends in an arc the other direction. A bunch of different ways you can do it.

robo hippy

Paul Singer
11-29-2011, 7:20 AM
Maybe we could add this to the "Start to Finish" sticky thread above for easy access. A very interesting project.

Dan Hintz
11-29-2011, 9:06 AM
I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A&feature=feedu)f you have a recycling center for old washing machines, the main tub is plastic. A bit thin, but it will work. An Aussie recommended the white sign board that looks like card board. It crimps one direction, and bends in an arc the other direction.
Yeah, I really need to get around to finding a local source for something similar. The project is somewhat higher priority than the actual sourcing, so it hasn't been done yet :(

Reed Gray
11-29-2011, 1:37 PM
For the barrels, I get mine from a place that does honey products. Some of the beverage companies (Coke,Pepsi) have some as well. I have thought about some of the plastic tanks that are for farming to hold water and chemicals. They are larger and would be of a size where you could enclose the lathe and leave the hood in place, maybe put in some partitions for sanding bowls or spindles. They must have some factory seconds some where. You can but 4 by 8 ft sheet stock from plastic supply places. All sorts of possibilities. Heck, a cardboard box will work.

Show me your home made sanding hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robo hippy

robo hippy.

Dan Hintz
11-30-2011, 7:40 AM
Heck, a cardboard box will work.
Uhmmmmm, you're right..... and I have plenty of those. I may just have to go with something like that until I get around to finding a proper barrel.

Steve Vaughan
11-30-2011, 8:49 AM
What a great idea this is! Beats the heck out of that big (and expensive) dust hood thing you can buy. Thanks for sharing, I'm gonna have to look into this and will probably go with the cardboard box initially!

Jamie Donaldson
11-30-2011, 11:49 AM
214267There are many dust collection possibilities available in the heating/AC duct work business, and for a very reasonable cost. Here is my primary collector which I can move between machines on a base made from an office chair.

Baxter Smith
11-30-2011, 1:10 PM
You can also check with any car wash in your area. They might have some translucent barrels that are empty.

Here is the cardboard box I made for sanding until I could get something better built. Picked up a HVAC fitting and some material for translucent and adjustable wings along with some caulking. After spending the better part of a day putting it together, it didn't work as well as the box.
A year and a half later it is still going strong. Just shove it on when I sand and toss it on the floor when I'm not.:D The difference between just the 6" hose and the box added is night and day.
The bowl in the picture is one of the cored pieces of Myrtle that Reed sent me. Still covered with anchorseal but it measures about 11 1/2 across just for size reference.

Joe Watson
11-30-2011, 2:41 PM
As far as the white 55g barrels, you can also try you local car dealership.
Was at Nissan for an oil change and noticed two empty ones out site.
The place i work at gets them barrels with simple green in them.

Reed Gray
12-01-2011, 1:07 AM
Any place that deals with liquids will have them. Food places like spices, soups, commercial food making places should have them. The more enclosed the piece is, the more dust you collect.

robo hippy

Ken Hill
12-01-2011, 6:35 AM
I have some of the barrels if anyone is close and needs one to try...I can also see if I can lay my hands on some of teh 35 gallon units, im sure that would fit my Delta better then the 55 gallon.

Dan Hintz
12-01-2011, 7:10 AM
I have some of the barrels if anyone is close and needs one to try...I can also see if I can lay my hands on some of teh 35 gallon units, im sure that would fit my Delta better then the 55 gallon.
Ken,

I'd like to claim one of those barrels, if you don't mind. I can pick it up at the same time as that Hickory... whenever THAT might be :-( Any way we can convince you to come to the gathering at Mike's in a week and a half?

Joseph M Lary
12-01-2011, 9:18 AM
Thanks Reed for putting up the video and all the replys . Thats is what Im looking for , going to work on getting my supplys and I will post some pics.

Thanks again for all the replys