PDA

View Full Version : Paper for drying green wood

Chris Colman
11-28-2011, 7:59 PM
What have you had the most success with when drying green wood?

Kraft paper bags? Newspaper?

Has anyone tried Tyvek bags or used Tyvek to wrap your project in? I know it is waterproof but vapor permeable. I wonder if it would slow down the evaporation enough?

Curt Fuller
11-28-2011, 9:03 PM
I don't suspect most people have access to Tyvek but it would seem to great for drying rough turnings. The object is control the flow of air around the wood so the surface doesn't dry at a lot faster rate than the rest of the wood. Seems to me Tyvek would be just the ticket.

Tom Wilson66
11-28-2011, 9:46 PM
Oh no - something else to lower the balance in the savings account!

Dan Forman
11-28-2011, 9:52 PM
I just use brown paper grocery bags, put the bowl in and tape it shut, store near the floor for three or four weeks, then take out of the bag and let it dry for another couple of months. The three week period is when most of the water is lost, therefore the most shrinking. After that they will still lose moisture, but won't crack as the moisture loss slows way down.
Dan

Greg Just
11-28-2011, 10:17 PM
I keep it simple - newspaper with shavings inside the bowl

Jon Nuckles
11-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I ran out of paper bags long ago and the grocery stores here don't offer them anymore, so I bought a roll of brown paper from Home Depot (in the paint accessories section for use to protect floors). Wrap them up like presents to open later.

Robert Newton
11-28-2011, 11:09 PM
I have had good luck just packing the bowl in a bin full of wood chips from the planner and rotating it every couple days.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I used at one time brown grocery sacks.

Jesse Goodwin
11-28-2011, 11:29 PM
I just bought a roll of the brown paper today because my bowls are to big for bags. I wish I had thought of the tyvek because I have a half of a roll left over from residing my studio. Duh

When I die, just bury me in my shavings!

Paul Heely
11-29-2011, 6:18 AM
I use cardboard boxes. Load them up with bowls and close all the flaps for a few weeks. Then every couple of weeks open up a flap. I've had good luck with this method.

Jack Mincey
11-29-2011, 6:19 AM
I use brown paper grocery bags most of the time, but also use card board boxes with the lid shut for bowls that are to big to fit into a grocery bag.
Jack

Al Wasser
11-29-2011, 10:12 AM
For large turnings that won't fit in a paper bag, I save the large paper sacks that bird feed comes iin and some of you may also get dog food in those large bags

Scott Hackler
11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I use the Dna soaking method, but after the rough outs come out of the alcohol I wrap them up with newspaper (usually 3 layers). I do this 1) because it works and 2) I have access to an unlmited supply of newspapers....so they're FREE! :)

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I use brown paper grocery bags. Works great for me.

Dan Hintz
11-30-2011, 7:44 AM
I recall reading a thread or two (possibly not here) on someone using Tyvek. I can't recall the conclusions, but I have to say if paper bags work just fine, why make it more expensive by going with Tyvek.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-30-2011, 8:42 AM
The checkout people at the grocery store don't even bother grabbing plastic when they see me in line. They know I want the paper bags. I have also painted end grain on rough outs with Anchor seal and not bagged the bowl. That works too but Anchorseal costs more. Wood can mildew in paper. It is sometimes good to change out the bag after a couple days when the wood moisture is exceptionally high. You will know that by how much water is dripping from your ceiling after the rough out process.
faust