PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

Ken Hill
11-28-2011, 5:51 PM
1) The cherry top hasnt been oiled up yet and I am hoping it ill darken to match the bottom...if not ...???

2) Not sure if it looks ok (once things even out color wise) of if I should try a cherry ring and darker center?

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/i-7th8whX/0/M/LLL1301-M.jpg

Josh Bowman
11-28-2011, 6:27 PM
Ken,
I think it looks nice as is. If I did anything, I'd make the finial a little taller and slender. But since I'm sure this isn't you last and final piece, I'd say it's a keeper as is. BTW I really enjoy you photography.

Ken Hill
11-28-2011, 6:36 PM
Thanks Josh, it wont change much until someone hangs a new shirt or jacket on the chair thats acting as a background LOL!

David E Keller
11-28-2011, 7:52 PM
I think it looks pretty good, Ken. I'll bet the cherry darkens up pretty close upon application of the oil. If this is going to be a user, the shorter finial/knob is probably more functional... If it's a looker, the taller finial will add a bit more drama.

John Keeton
11-28-2011, 8:07 PM
Ken, your turnings are starting to move toward the artsy side!!! Very nice work on this one.

Baxter Smith
11-28-2011, 8:31 PM
Looking good Ken. I would imagine the colors will even themselves out more with time. Potentially useful;) lidded pieces are kind of fun to make. Trying to keep grain running in the same direction between layers is something I notice a lot when when I am done....... but is sometimes easy to forget when you are trying to get things glued together.

Ken Hill
11-28-2011, 9:22 PM
John, I will have to go widdle and spit some baccy on the front porch, I dont do artsy haha

Baxter, good tip thank you, no glue has been applied but man that would suck wouldnt it!

Ken Hill
11-28-2011, 9:46 PM
One more. These are for my two neices for Christmas so I have a bit of time to tweak them.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/i-xtgrb9T/0/M/LLL1303-M.jpg

Kathy Marshall
11-28-2011, 9:56 PM
Nice turnings Ken! I think your nieces will be very happy!