PDA

View Full Version : Introduction with some pictures

Moses Weisberg
11-28-2011, 4:56 PM
I have been keeping up with the turning forum for a while, but I figure its time to introduce myself. For some of the year I live in Denver, and for the rest of the year I am a college student at The George Washington University in DC. The upside to this is that I get to study politics in the nation's capitol, but unfortunately this means I am regularly about 1,600 miles away from my shop and lathe. Its especially nice to see other people's work when I'm far from home.

When I'm in Colorado, I primarily turn bowls, with some exceptions. Since it didn't actually happen if there aren't pictures, I'm attaching a few of the nicer pieces I've made.
The box is made of Redheart and finished with tung oil and beall buffing
The bowl is Chinese Elm finished with mineral oil (I was still working out my finishing system)
The natural edged bowl is pine killed by bark beetles in Colorado that leave behind these blue markings. I moved on to tung oil and buffing by this point.
And finally, this bowl is Russian Olive oriented so that the sap wood had a streak exposed on either side. This is also finished with tung oil, but only buffed by hand.

I'm still learning, and turn more by feel that drawn design so far. I have half a garage of wood, and a large rubbermaid tub of prepped bowl blanks for winter break, so I'll see if I can post more.

Thanks for all the knowledge I've picked up around here.

Best,
Moses

Jon McElwain
11-28-2011, 5:08 PM
Hey Moses,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek! I love the Redheart Box and the Russian Olive bowl - great grain in that one. I've got a big Russian Olive burl that is waiting to be turned. One of these days. I live in Fort Collins in the winter (Alaska in the summer) - what part of Denver are you in?

Marty Eargle
11-28-2011, 5:09 PM
Welcome and good looking turnings!! Look forward to seeing future turnings.

Jack Mincey
11-28-2011, 5:10 PM
Welcome to SMC. I like all your turnings pictured, but the last two are outstanding in the way you used the grain in each piece.
Jack

Scott Hackler
11-28-2011, 5:13 PM
Welcome to the group!

Steve Kennedy
11-28-2011, 5:25 PM
Welcome. Nice work!! If I could do work like that, politics would be the furthest thing from my mind:)

Robert McGowen
11-28-2011, 5:37 PM
You certainly seem to know what you are doing. Great looking work!

Baxter Smith
11-28-2011, 5:48 PM
Welcome Moses! I like them all! Hope to see more soon!

Doug Herzberg
11-28-2011, 6:23 PM
Welcome! Great work.

I'm in the Black Forest area near Colorado Springs.

Josh Bowman
11-28-2011, 6:30 PM
Wow, what an introduction! I really like you work. When you figure out our nations politics, post it here so we can understand it too.:D

Dick Wilson
11-28-2011, 6:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. Great work. Look forward to seeing more.

Tony De Masi
11-28-2011, 7:29 PM
Welcome Moses. If you need a turning related fix you are fairly close to two very good turning clubs. Montgomery County Woodturners, in Maryland, and the Capital Area Woodturners in Alexandria, Va. Two outstanding clubs.

David E Keller
11-28-2011, 7:32 PM
Welcome, Moses! Nice looking group of turnings you got there... Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future. Looks like a mini lathe might be a good purchase for the time while you're in DC!

John Keeton
11-28-2011, 8:12 PM
Welcome, Moses!!! Great intro, too. All of the turnings are very nice and I particularly like the redwood box and the Russian Olive bowl, but to be honest, I am really intrigued by the pine that you used with the NE piece. Pine doesn't usually do much for me, but this bowl, with the grain orientation and markings, is really nice!

I look forward to seeing more work from you - intermittently, I suspect, with your schedule!

Curt Fuller
11-28-2011, 8:59 PM
Beautiful work Moses, and welcome. I'm a big fan of turning Russian Olive and you bowl is spectacular. All of your work is very nice.

Kathy Marshall
11-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Welcome Moses, that's a very nice group of turnings!

steven carter
11-29-2011, 9:45 AM
Welcome Moses, very fine job on all the pieces, I really like the pine bowl, very unusual. You know politics and turning may be more compatible than you would think at first look, both seem to just keep going round and round :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2011, 9:55 AM
Welcome Moses to SMC. Those are some really nice turnings. I especially like the lidded box and the russian olive bowl.

Roger Chandler
11-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Welcome Moses! Nice to have you join us..........I like that redheart box, and especially the chinese elm bowl [great grain] and the russian olive bowl......those two have beautiful grain patterns in them.

Take Tony's advice..........there are great clubs around you.........take advantage!

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Moses - Welcome to the Creek! Very nice work! I especially like the Russian Olive bowl - wonderful grain! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

charlie knighton
11-29-2011, 3:50 PM
welcome to the creek, Mosses

thanks for sharing, all are very nice, like your chinese elm and like your natural spiral in the pine

Bill White
11-29-2011, 4:03 PM
Dadgum trainee comes in here and makes us all look bad. (Jokin'!)
Great work there my man.
Welcome.
Bill