PDA

View Full Version : where to buy

Mike McCann
11-28-2011, 4:12 PM
I am looking to get the festool domino for a christmas present to myself. Who do you suggest I buy from.

thanks

Mike Nguyen
11-28-2011, 4:35 PM
I just bought the CT26 and TS55 package from Amazon. Free shipping and no tax if that's the route you want to go. Otherwise, your local festool dealer. Local festool dealer will let you try your festool tools for 30 days with no question ask return policy but you have to pay tax which can add another 70 bucks.
Mike

Eric DeSilva
11-28-2011, 5:09 PM
A lot of creekers have had good experiences with Bob Marino, myself included.

Brian Ross
11-28-2011, 5:13 PM
I have never bought from Bob Marino but just talking to him on the phone convinced me he is a stand up guy. Will go to him when the new Domino hits the market.

Brian

Mike Nguyen
11-28-2011, 5:50 PM
Yep, Bob Marino is the man. I bought from Amazon because I have about $500 in American Express points that I can use.

Mike McCann
11-28-2011, 8:02 PM
thanks guys

James Baker SD
11-28-2011, 8:06 PM
Don't forget to consider Joel at Tools for Working Wood. He always meets my needs.

Chris Tsutsui
11-28-2011, 8:29 PM
Make sure you skip taxes by buying online and not local. Only settle for a site that ships with free shipping and is an authorized reseller.

With that said there are other ways at getting a discount on festool, but it involves craigslist. :)

Scott T Smith
11-28-2011, 9:10 PM
Re Festool suppliers, Bob Marino is great, as is Steve Wall at Wall Lumber.

Craig Michael
11-28-2011, 9:35 PM
Bob Marino is great. I emailed him late on a Friday night with a question and he replied in 10 minutes. Talk about service.

John Coloccia
11-28-2011, 10:26 PM
re: not buying local to "save" tax

You do realize that you technically SHOULD pay a use tax for purchases where sales tax isn't collected? Personally, I would try to buy local if there's a knowledgable source nearby like I have.

Mitchell Garnett
11-28-2011, 11:30 PM
another vote for Bob Marino - I've gotten several items from him and have always been pleased with the response and the service. He gets orders out quickly too.

Stephen Cherry
11-28-2011, 11:48 PM
All things being equal, I would go to your local dealer and buy it. I try to buy locally whenever possible so that the local store continues to exist.

Greg Portland
11-29-2011, 6:18 PM
I am looking to get the festool domino for a christmas present to myself. Who do you suggest I buy from.

thanksPrices are fixed on new tools & all dealers participate in the same promotions. The larger dealers may have refurb options or old-stock tools from time to time @ lower prices.

Bruce Page
11-29-2011, 6:39 PM
A lot of creekers have had good experiences with Bob Marino, myself included.

++ on Bob Marino
http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com

Aleks Hunter
11-30-2011, 9:56 AM
Evasion of taxes is illegal. Your buying online rather than local based 100% on dollars and cents you. We live in communities which work best when they are mutually supportive. Sometimes it is impractical, even prohibitive to buy local. Then by all means go online, or even travel a bit if the included cost makes sense. But a tool like the New Domino Which is selling in the UK for the equivalent of about $2000 is a either a professional woodworkers tool or an extreme luxury for a hobbyist with pretty good pockets. No one loves paying taxes. But they are a legitimate cost of doing business. If you are a pro woodworker the money you add to the local economy is money in the local pool that can come back to you. That local mom and pop hardware shop may charge a few bucks more, but they know who's doing what, and are excellent sources of referrals that outperform any paid advertising. The locals can also provide hands on service and support. If your tool fails you can get a replacement, or at least a loaner usually. Amazon gives you a phone number and e-mail at best.

We have a local building supply company with about 10 stores. They carry better quality than the BORG, prices are about the same, for like items, they carry things like clear cedar dimension lumber that you'll never find in a big box, they know every sawmill operator and what is available if going that route will help. Plus they deliver! which is a huge savings based on the value of your time.

Claiming poverty while buying such a tool tends to fall on deaf ears. If you think evading taxes like this is something to grin about, do you feel the same about hiring undocumented workers? They come cheaper too, and no payroll taxes either? Its a slippery slope man.

Jim Becker
12-05-2011, 9:27 PM
Bob Marino.