PDA

View Full Version : First go with the Mcnaughten corer.

Dan Forman
11-28-2011, 3:07 PM
Well, I survived my first attempt with the Mcnaughten center saver last night. I had a 14 x 5" walnut blank, and only tried to take one core, as I didn't want to take any chances with losing the larger bowl. I had watched Reed Gray's video a few times, so had some idea of what to expect. My experience was somewhat more "interesting" than those portrayed on the video however.

I started with a dovetail recess on the bottom of the blank. It was nearly 1/2" deep, with what I thought was plenty of wood surrounding it. When I got about 3/4" into the core, I had a rather nasty catch, and the blank jumped off the lathe. Inspection revealed that one side of the recess broke off, and the other side cracked. It was heavy enough that it didn't really fly so much as plummet to the floor. I had left the face plate on the front side, so back on the lathe it went, and this time a tenon was turned where the recess once was. It required some serious reshaping of what would become the bottom of the large bowl.

Reversing the blank again, I took off the faceplate, and turned another tenon on the front side, so that I would have a way to hold the smaller core, in the event that I was able to separate it from the larger blank.

Reed describes two modifications that he made to the rig. One is to drill a dimple in the tool post which locks the gate via a set screw, rather than letting it rotated as it is designed to do. I tried that, and found that I had better luck with the gate moving free. Maybe further experience will change my mind, but for now, I will let it swing.

The other modification involves putting a flat edge on the cutter, similar to the way they used to be made, rather than the point that they come with now. He reasons that the flat, scraper type edge is shorter than the pointed one, and takes a smaller shaving, 3/8" rather than 1/2", thus providing less resistance when cutting. I Started with the point, but shortly after the catch mentioned above, and many other mini catches, I went to the grinder and flattened the point. I do think this helped, and think it also makes it easier to take a little off either side of the cut for clearance.

In spite of my preparation, I still found it a pretty wild ride, lots of minor catches, and not at al a smooth process. But everyone says there is a pretty long learning curve. Reed did say that it's a good idea to start with some wood that you don't really care about, and that fruitwood like apple or cherry is a good place to start, and to avoid stringy woods like soft maple or poplar. However, I didn't have any in a suitable size, and really want to get these last few large walnut blanks roughed out. I don't know if walnut is one of the more difficult woods or not. The only other sizable pieces I have are elm and soft maple, and I know that the elm is pretty stringy and the grain is interlocked, so probably not the best place to start.

So, I ended up with a 14" fairly deep bowl, and a 9 1/2" shallow bowl, nothing broken, and ready to have another go today.

Any tips on using this coring system would be appreciated. I started at about 500 RPM, sped up to about 700 when getting closer to the center to compensate for the slower rotation at that location. I think I will stick with tenons, as I am just more comfortable with them, and the Oneway Stronghold has a very tenacious grip.

Dan

Scott Hackler
11-28-2011, 3:28 PM
Because I don't have the newer set or a laser, I like to remove the blade every so often and hold it above the blank (lathe off) to help visualize the path that the tool is and will take. Helps a little I think.

Also, for the dovetailed large blank, dont finish the "roundness" of the bottom of that blank off, but instead keep a lot of waste on the bottom. That way the "wall" of the dovetail is pretty thick and more stable. You can easily remove the waste when you finish the bowl.

After trueing up the surface of the large blank (before any coring) I mark out the entry point of the cutter to carefully map out the cuts for all the bowls. (lathe running, 3/16" pencil marks with 1" or more in between them. I like trying to plan it out.

Also, after you remove a core, take the time to examin the entire thickness of the remaining bowl to see "how did I do" and that will help knowing if you are trending shallow or wide while coring.

Hope that helps a bit.

Gary Max
11-28-2011, 3:52 PM
My coring system ended up on ebay ----- I have plenty of wood.

Baxter Smith
11-28-2011, 8:55 PM
Sounds like a good start Dan! Two is better than 1 and a bunch of shavings if its special wood.

Nate Davey
11-28-2011, 9:04 PM
To add to what Scott said, I jiggle the handle back and forth while going in. I, also, use very light pushing pressure, using two or three fingers to ensure I don't muscle it. The more I do, the better I'm getting. Definitely start with wet wood first. I've had trouble with walnut, but maples been good to me.

Bob Bergstrom
11-28-2011, 11:57 PM
What Scot said. Also it becomes a feel and sound thing. I use my wood sealer or wd 40 to lubricate the cut. You will start to feel the approching catch, at least most of the time. The two likely spots are a little after the start, and coming around the bend(same place tear out occurs). Sharpen the tip before each core. Don't try to change the path without enlarging the incesion. Practice, practice, practice. Eventually you will become successful.

Ralph Lindberg
11-29-2011, 12:33 AM
I've snapped off more then one tenon in the process of learning to use the coring system.
I'm certainly not up to Reeds level, but today I can core a bowl faster then I can turn that core into chips. This includes the time it takes to setup the gate.
Part of why, is I tend to core every bowl I turn, every. Even if the core will be too small to use. My logic is, this is practice and I can put the core into the burn-pile and keep this house warm with it.

Reed Gray
11-29-2011, 1:08 AM
A 14 inch bowl is pretty big for first attempts. Much more difficult to keep the blade on course when you are going that deep. 10 to 12 inch diameter and 4 or 5 inched deep are more simple. It does take a while to learn how to aim, and how to correct when it goes off line. For a 14 inch bowl, I would not go deeper than 1/4 inch for recess depth, and would want about 1 1/2 inch of shoulder on the outside. Depends on your chuck jaws.

Some people like the spear point, I don't. I don't know if it makes any differences in catches or not. Some times it is the wood. More so if you are below center. I do start with the point above center so by the time I get to the bottom, it will be at center.

It can be quite an adventure.

robo hippy