PDA

View Full Version : Just had to share this

Blake McCully
03-07-2005, 7:50 AM
LOML and I did our second craft fair yesterday. Learned alot, when everything got put on the spreadsheet, we lost about $170. Sigh. Well, we decided to chalk it up to on the job training, expensive lesson though.

We live in western PA near Pittsburgh and the fair was in Wilkes-Barre, PA. One night in a motel, gas, food, well you get the rest. We had planned to spend a little time today with Bill and Lisa Grumbine but we couldn't justify another night in a motel. I'll be getting with Bill later for a day of lessons anyway.

A couple of the "old time" crafters said that with the type and quality of our wares, we should, first, only look into juried shows, and second, try to stay with the ones that charge admission. Of course, with our usual 20/20 hindsight that makes perfect sense.

Why did we go way out there? Simply our (actually my) enthusiasim to get going. No fairs out our way. Don't really know. I'm on craftlister.com and get monthly updates of fairs up to 6 months away.

I reviewed the shows that we have applied to so far and have eliminated one for sure, another is up for further review. We will not be daunted by this wonderful experience.

Gotta share this story. A lady stopped by the table and absolutely fell in love with a gold gent's rollerball done in violet BEB. I told her to write with it and give it a try. She practically swooned and started to reach for her check book. She asked me how much and when I told her $55, she almost .... well you know. She said "Is it made of gold" I said well, yeah. It was about 20 minutes later that we packed up (3:00). The show was scheduled to end at 5 pm and the lady who organized it told us that if we left early we would jeopardize out chances of being invited next year. My wife and I both said "Thank you!".

Ok, done ranting. Lesson learned.

You all have a great day, gotta go get the wood spinning.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-07-2005, 8:38 AM
Blake,

Thank you for posting this! I am been looking into getting into some craft fairs. Your experience has been duely noted. I don't know that I would be selling at those prices, but I tend to undersell my work! Anyways, thanks for the story, it may save me some heartache :)

Ed Lang
03-07-2005, 8:53 AM
Blake,

Sorry to hear that the "lesson" was so expensive. My wife and I are taking the day off and going to a "Craft Fair" in Richmond VA this Friday. The purpose is to see first hand what type of booth we need to consider making and how prices are on items. I fear we will have the same type of out of the gate experience.

It would be nice if the folks on SMC could maybe have a forum for craft fair type of posts....

Wonder how many SMC'ers do, or have been thinking about selling at fairs?

Best of luck on the next few shows!

Do you have any pictures of your booth?

Ken Salisbury
03-07-2005, 9:51 AM
Blake,

Wonder how many SMC'ers do, or have been thinking about selling at fairs?

Do you have any pictures of your booth?

I have done craft shows off an on for about 15 years selling a variety of woodworking items ranging from small items like pens to large items such as Grandfather clocks and other furniture pieces. I presently do 3 craft shows/year, all in a VERY LARGE civic center here in Huntsville.

Since my retirement I have TOTALLY financed my hobby with "craft show money" (CSM). In the past 4 years my CSM fund has purchased some major pieces of equipment as upgrades to what I had:

Jet Mortizer
2 Jet Mini lathes
1 Jet 1642VS lathe
Jet 14" BS w/riser
Jet 17" floor drill press
2 new routers (making my total now 8) :)
Router Raiser
Pro Pocket Hole System
An untold number of replacement/upgrade handtools

Coming soon (after my Mar 18,19,20 show): Jet 10-20 Drum Sander

1991 Craft Show Booth
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/Show1.jpg

2003 Craft Show Booth

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/show001.jpg

A couple of the "old time" crafters said that with the type and quality of our wares, we should, first, only look into juried shows, and second, try to stay with the ones that charge admission.

Very good advice Blake. The shows I now do (3) are juried and also admission free. Shows that do not charge admission typically have higher booth fees, however that is offset by much, much larger crowds. Big crowds = bigger customer base :). In addition have products over a wide price range. My last 5 or 6 shows I had items ranging from $7.50 to $275.00.

It is also a good idea to pick shows that you can do over and over again to establish a "return customer base". The sales from my current shows are approximately 20 - 25 % return customers. (I give all return customers 10% off). I also guarantee my products for life. My life, not the customer's :D

Ernie Hobbs
03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Ken:

Just out of curiosity- what three shows do you do? I'd love to come by and see your work sometime.

Bill Grumbine
03-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Blake

We were both sorry to have missed you, especially as we thought we might hear a little bit about how IUP has changed over the years since we have been there. I can certainly relate to your story though, especially when I was starting out, but even in recent years. You just never know how a show is going to do for you. Most of the time anymore, I make money, but there is still the occasional one out there that is going to give me a drubbing in the checkbook.

It is very important to match the show to your wares. I did a show early on which could best be characterized as a "painted pig and cow show". I was there with pens, other turnings, and some flat stuff all made out of hardwoods. Everyone around me was doing pigs, cows, ducks, pine stained brown with hearts, etc. The people across the aisle from me had customers marching in and out of their booth all morning long, money changing hands constantly. Finally at about 11:00 AM I sold one pen for $20.00.

After lunch, it got real slow, and we struck up a conversation with the people in the other booth. I remarked to the lady that they seemed to be having a very good show. She replied, "No, not really, we've only made about $20.00." Well needless to say I felt better about my one sale, but I also resolved to stay away from those shows in the future. More recently I have been confining myself to shows that have the word art somewhere in the name, and they have done relatively well for me.

Good luck in the future, and maybe I will see you sometime at the big art festival in Shelocta! ;)

Bill

Blake McCully
03-07-2005, 2:07 PM
Bill and Ken,
Great advice. I used to do scollsaw work, in fact that is what financed my first lathe. Once I get retired I'm planning to expand my wares selection. Yes, I know about the pigs and cows, and stained pine. I look at those shows with the word "art" in them, but right now I'm pretty intimidated by that.

Hopefully once Bill takes me under his tutelage I hope my confidence builds and am able to produce worthy stuff.

Bill, if you and Lisa haven't been back at IUP for a while you might not recognize it. Literally. They have been doing some massive rebuilding, renovating projects of the past few years. If I can talk you into coming out and visiting the club, we can take a tour of the old alma mater or something.

Anyway very good advice and I promised myself (SWMBO too) that we would take a better look at what we do.

Talk to you all later.

Ken Salisbury
03-07-2005, 3:09 PM
Ken:

Just out of curiosity- what three shows do you do? I'd love to come by and see your work sometime.

Ernie,

I do the NEACA Craft Shows at the Von Braun Civic Center in Mar, Sep and Dec. The upcoming Spring show is Mar 18, 19 & 20. Drop in and see me. I will be in the far back of the hall in somewaht of an isolated area since I will be doing some turning demos.

John Shuk
03-07-2005, 4:13 PM
It's funny. My mother-in-law always tells me I should sell my stuff and that it would be a no brainer. First of all she doesn't realize that it's not that good but secondly it isn't easy to get people to part with a buck. I would say that the best way to do it would be to sell items which might create a connection for people. Like selling bowls made of Pennsylvania Cherry at a Pa show or something like like that. I hope you don't throw in the towel because there is a niche. You just gotta find it. I hope your next experience is better.

Ernie Hobbs
03-07-2005, 8:38 PM
Ken:

The March show works perfectly for me. My wife is going out of town with the kids and I am planning to spend as much of my free time as possible in the shop (not so much lately with three small kids). I'll find a good time to go by. I'm looking forward to it.

David Fried
03-07-2005, 9:41 PM
I would say that the best way to do it would be to sell items which might create a connection for people. Like selling bowls made of Pennsylvania Cherry at a Pa show or something like like that.

I'm still in the planning stages and haven't gone to any shows but that is the same advice my neighbor, who has exhibited, gave me. He likes the exotic woods but feels the Apple Root from UConn, Black Walnut from mansfield, etc. would sell here in Connecticut for the reasons you give.

Coming from multiple sources it is beginning to sound like good advice.

Anthony Yakonick
03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
My life, not the customer's
Hey Ken, What's the difference ;)

Darren Ford
03-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for posting this Ken. I think I will try to make it up that way (you are about 2 hours from me). Looks like perfect timing for me as well. I thought all weekends were booked for a good while. I almost feel like I have gained a week by finding one that was not already planned out.

Anthony Yakonick
03-07-2005, 10:41 PM
First you need a good economy, second you need a good show, you get what you pay for. My show fees range from $100 to $300 and I try to make sure I'm the only turner there. Scout your shows first, don't send your money blindly. I try to shoot for 8-10 times show fees in sales.

Last years booth

Anthony Yakonick
03-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Smaller booth, more work. Mr Grumbine saw this display last weekend

Blake McCully
03-08-2005, 8:14 AM
Anthony,
Great pics. I like your setup. I'm planning to make some stands soon. Gonna have to once we start doing outside shows.

I want to thank everyone in the Creek for their input, advice, etc.

Keep the chips flying.

Dale Thompson
03-08-2005, 9:34 PM
Blake,
I have never "sold" any of my stuff. On the other hand, if I do decide to do it, the LAST place that I would consider would be a "Craft Show". My experience in touring craft shows is that they are primarily anchored by "crafters" who do their work for the fun of it - not for the profit. :)

In my part of the country, winters are long and many older folks spend their "indoor" hours making bird feeders out of coffee cans, "neat" gimmicks out of beer or soda cans, painted cows and pigs out of scrap wood and "glued-on" twigs, eagles and wolves out of crudely scrolled driftwood, etc., etc. Some of this stuff is very nice and some of the artistry is quite impressive. Such a waste! :( :confused:

In the spring, they go to "craft shows" and sell their wares. They may pay for their booth, their supplies and give themselves an hourly pay rate of $.15/hr. :eek: I'd rather GIVE my stuff away. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that is the hysterically moronic marketing strategy that gave us, "New Coke" and the Edsel! My plan would be to: Identify your market, offer products intrinsic to the demands of that market and charge ridiculously high prices for your efforts. :cool:

I happen to live within easy driving distance of three high-end tourist areas. I know the areas and what the "tourists" expect of those areas. I also know that the "plastic" runs with much liquidity through the scanners of certain merchants. "Certain" is the key word here. I also know the merchants.

What would these wealthy "summer" people pay for a well-made "camp" lamp exhibiting deer, bear, eagles and even cougars? What would the wife of a wealthy "hunter" who has "everything" pay for an "Antler" pen? What would a wealthy Grandma pay for a "custom" scrolled portrait of her grandson or granddaughter? I don't know but I've got some very strong hunches. ;)

Good marketing is NOT dependent on trying to "milk" money from a bunch of folks who are walking through a "Craft Show" looking for bargains!

I'm NOT a "production" person but I may test the waters next spring and summer just for the fun of it. If I can't return $20-40/hr, I'll forget it and continue to give my "junk" away. Either way, in the paraphrased words of Willie Nelson, "I won't be cold, I won't be wet and I won't be hungry". Who could ask for anything more?? :)

I don't intend to offend anyone! The above are just my own thoughts. We spend a lot of time and money on our hobby. Why give away the results?
Don't be stupid like me. If you want to profit from the hobby, give some thought to your marketing strategy. Remember the "Hula Hoop", the "Pet Rock", "Cabbage Patch" dolls, etc. EGADS!! I seem to recall a guy who developed a rather simple computer operating system which he called DOS!! :eek: ;)

Dale T.

Anthony Yakonick
03-09-2005, 9:00 PM
Dale, no offense but you gotta get out more ;) There are "juried" shows where the craft artists are making a living at craft. I'm not talking about the local church and fire hall "bazaars". I accept Visa/Master Card and I earn a good "shop" rate with my average sale $90+, I also hope to make it a full time in the near future.

Dale Thompson
03-09-2005, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=Anthony Yakonick]Dale, no offense but you gotta get out more ;)

Anthony,
You are absolutely right - however, you will have to talk to my wife about that. If she would increase my allowance I could probably make it to town more than once every couple of years. ;) No offense taken! :)

Dale T. :)

Mark Hulette
03-10-2005, 4:41 PM
Anthony-

Nice set up! I see you also sell the mini birdhouses. Are they a pretty seasonal thing or fairly steady where you are? What kind of prices will you typically get?

I've made a few of these but haven't had instant success like I thought I would.