PDA

View Full Version : Portable Dust Collector for sanding on lathe

Brad Simmons
11-28-2011, 1:29 PM
I need a small dust collector for use when sanding on the lathe. That's all I need dust collection for. Could you make a recommendation? Penn State Industries has one (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC725.html) that looks promising. Thoughts?

Tom Wilson66
11-28-2011, 9:22 PM
I use a Delta 1 hp roll around dust collector, the one with a single bag. Does the job if you keep the intake close to the work. Only use it on one machine at a time, and have a long flexible 4" hose to connect to the machines I am using.
Works at the sanding dust, even gets a few of the shavings. Most of the shavings end up being swept into a trash can.
Also, I got an after market 1 micron bag for it, the one that came with the machine would give out a cloud of dust when I first turned it on. Believe the one that came with it was 30 micron. which is just about useless.

Reed Gray
11-29-2011, 1:27 AM
The good thing about the Penn State dust collector is the hood. The more enclosed the work is that you are sanding, the more dust you collect. It would be fine for pens, but not for power sanding bowls. You need more horse power.

robo hippy