PDA

View Full Version : jointing help

Christian Thompson
11-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I am having some trouble jointing edges. I have a #7 jointer and am trying to joint pretty short boards (~20"). The problem is I am always ending up a bit low at the ends. I am focussing on weighting my front hand to start and my back hand at the end. I even went so far as to take some video and don't see any rocking at the start or end. The plane's bottom is pretty flat - I flattened it until marker lines at the front back and right in front of the blades were gone.

Any suggestions or other things to try? My quick and dirty fix was to take a few swipes out of the middle, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Christian

Chris Griggs
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
This is common, what you are doing already is exactly right. The key is to first plane a hollow in the edge by starting the cut a little in and lifting the plane of just before you reach the end of the cut. Do this a few time or until the plane stops cutting. Then plane all the way across until you remove the hollow. This should be just when the plane starts to take a full shaving all the way across, but I always like to check with a straight edge.

Zach Dillinger
11-28-2011, 1:08 PM
Chris has it right on. Plane a hollow, then plane the full length. Practice will get you there.

Z

Christian Thompson
11-28-2011, 1:56 PM
OK. Thanks guys. Sounds like I am on the right track. I just wish I had asked this before I planed half an inch off one of the boards... :-)

Jim Barrett
11-28-2011, 2:18 PM
Christian,

#7 is a big plane for that short piece of wood...if you have a #5 it may be easier for you to handle...

Jim

Christian Thompson
11-28-2011, 3:26 PM
I think you are probably right, but unfortunately I don't have a #5 - it is near the top of my list of things to buy.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2011, 3:34 PM
Christian,

Your profile doesn't list your location. If you are near me, let me know. I have a #5 you could use/borrow to see if it does help with your work.

I think the #5 would be more likely to follow the curve of the wood than a #7. It likely comes down to the time honored road to experience. The more experience you have the more you understand a plane's tendency to follow the easiest route from one end of the board to the other. It is the user that takes it off its natural course to knock down a hump in the middle

jtk

Russell Sansom
11-28-2011, 6:44 PM
I might humbly suggest that you practice on some 1/8" or 1/4" stuff. You'll see what works and what doesn't much faster and the lesson learned will scale right up to thicker lumber. For this task I would always reach for the #7 or the #8. The rhythm of the shooting board helps a lot in getting that every-so-slight hollow which you then take out with a couple very light passes. The light/heavy requirement is much more easily-controlled on a shooting board.

Jim Matthews
11-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Have a look at Bob's podcast #28 (http://logancabinetshoppe.com/blog/2010/10/episode-28/) over at the Logan Cabinet Shoppe.

The fun starts around 6:40.
Listen to the two crisp knicks at either side of the hollow.

These videos are really instructive, for both the speeds at which Bob moves and the audible cues.

Christian Thompson
11-29-2011, 9:08 AM
Your profile doesn't list your location. If you are near me, let me know. I have a #5 you could use/borrow to see if it does help with your work.

I just added it. Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately it looks like we are on the oppposite side of the country!

I might humbly suggest that you practice on some 1/8" or 1/4" stuff. You'll see what works and what doesn't much faster and the lesson learned will scale right up to thicker lumber.

I think I am going to spend some time practicing before I pick up any new projects. I am building some replacement drawers for some kitchen cabinets, but the joint I glued together last night popped open when I took off the clamps this morning :mad:. I think one of the problems is me rushing and not wanting to take off too much wood. I have some pine scrap that I will work on for a week or so to practice jointing and dovetails before I get back to any real projects.

Have a look at Bob's podcast #28 (http://logancabinetshoppe.com/blog/2010/10/episode-28/) over at the Logan Cabinet Shoppe.

This is a great video! I plan on watching the rest as well. Thanks.