PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
11-28-2011, 11:03 AM
28 Nov 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
We are back from our family travels for the Thanksgiving Holidays. I'm road weary and was totally exhausted when we got in. Sleeping in for the first time since we left was a great thing!!!! I hope that each of you had a good holiday weekend, safe, filled with food and family fellowship.

I go oncall for work today and I have to work nights this week because we have 2 of our people out on vacation this week. Needless to say that it's going to be a LONG week this week.

I trust that many of you are finishing up Christmas gifts for family and friends and I'm trying to figure out what to get done while my mother-in-law is here with us for the next 2 weeks.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ryan Hellmer
11-28-2011, 12:16 PM
We had a tough, but good, thanksgiving. Our daughter passed away three weeks ago. Got together with the wife's family so that was good to see them. I came home and after a few weeks of not being able to get anything done I got the sheetrock in the basement sanded and a final coat of mud up, the yard mowed (I don't rake leaves, I bag em), the oil changed and tires rotated on my truck and gave the dog a bath. Settled down to a hot bowl of elk chili and watched a movie with the wife. All in all, we are finding our way back to "normal." I wonder if I'll ever get that half-finished crib in the shop done?

Ryan

David Hostetler
11-28-2011, 2:06 PM
For starters, Ryan, words are lacking for what you must be going through. All I can say is I will be praying for you and your family, and I am so sorry...

We had an interesting Thanksgiving. LOML wanted to do our own thing this year, so we smoked a turkey, and a couple of racks of ribs. I sort of forgot the ribs were there, so they came out not so good... Oh well my bad...

I finished up a replacement Christmas Tree stand for our artificial tree, took down the Thanksgiving decorations, did the Black Friday thing to humor my wife, and put up some, but not all of the Christmas decorations. I need to edge, mow, and hedge trim when I get home tonight, or at least as much of it as I can see to do... Yes my lawn is still growing. It's been in the 80s until today. I woke up this morning with ice on the truck... Go figure... I at least need to knock the weeds level and install the freeze caps, it looks like this cold front will be with us for a while...

I had finished up a painted library cabinet for the shop last week, well this weekend, I got after loading it up. I realize I don't have quite the magazine collection I had thought... Oh well... I am considering moving my router cases on top of this to make them easier to get to...

I also spent a good amount of time this weekend stripping 46 year old stain / lacquer off of my grandmothers chipping and peeling recipe box that my Dad made her the year my older brother was born... I have it in 2 coats of Minwax Golden Pecan stain, and the first coat of Semi Gloss poly is drying. I will have this finished up within the next couple of days. LOML wants me to ship it back to my Dad as a sort of over the years shared project... Not sure if I want to do that with this one. I have Grandpas Humidor I can do that with...

I have a couple of Advent Candles, an Advent Calendar, and a Messianic Menorah I am working on for holiday gifts for family and friends. I have been working some small cutting projects that make me REALLY want a scroll saw... I have been making do with a coping saw, but I am not super happy with the results.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2011, 5:30 PM
Ryan, I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't even want to imagine what you are going through.

I got quite a bit done in addition to the family time. I finished up the dining table and got a coat of Seal-a-cell on it. I also worked with a friend to finish up some charity projects members of our club built for a local daycare center and for the annual auction at U of M Mott Children's Hospitals Congenital Heart Center. We also moved my dads metalworking mill to my friends house. And I built a new filter frame for the inlet filters on my finishing room since the filter I had initially gone with offered too much restriction.