PDA

View Full Version : Miter Gauge Clamp Option

Justin Chen
11-28-2011, 9:45 AM
I was wondering why most aftermarket miter gauges don't come with a holddown clamp? It seems it would be safer and more accurate to be able to clamp it down like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9456-Clamping-Miter-Gauge/dp/B000VJD1YW

It would be nice if I could get an add-on for my incra 1000HD (besides sled) to be able to do this.

Harvey Melvin Richards
11-28-2011, 9:54 AM
I bought one just like the one you have shown. It was junk. I could never keep the plunger part tight enough to hold the part securely. The best miter clamps that I have used are cam type ones like a DeStaco clamp, or the one made by JDS.

Justin Chen
11-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Well I like my Incra, perhaps I just need to add a sacraficial fence and put sandpaper on it to give it a little friction.

Bill Huber
11-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree with Harvey, I have never seen one that really holds the work tight against the fence like I want and then there is the adjustment of them. They always hold it down but not against the fence. I also don't like to have to adjust them every time I change wood.

Ray Newman
11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
"Well I like my Incra, perhaps I just need to add a sacraficial fence and put sandpaper on it to give it a little friction."
--J. Chen

BINGO! That'll work every time.

And if you install a sub-fence which is a bit too long, cut it off with the saw blade, and you have a reference point for where the blade will cut the work with that blade. Or, do not completely cut thru the sub-fence, leaving it to act as a sweep to move scraps, small cut offs, etc., passed and away from the blade/blade guard.

glenn bradley
11-28-2011, 2:29 PM
+1 that other than the real high end gauges with holddowns they aren't worth the hassle. And of course you put sandpaper on your current gauge before you ever made cut one, right? :D:D:D JMHO.

Alan Marchbanks
11-28-2011, 3:06 PM
Shopsmith has one. Had one years ago and liked it, but don't remember if the mitre slot is standard width or not.

Alan

Alan Schaffter
11-28-2011, 7:33 PM
I had one on my Shopsmith years ago. Like others have said, it was a pain to adjust, plus, the important part of using a miter gauge is to hold the stock against the fence, not against the miter bar like that clamp does.