PDA

View Full Version : LV cyber Monday

Maurice Ungaro
11-28-2011, 7:56 AM
Lee Valley has a deal on 3 different planes. The medium shoulder plane is a great deal at $120.http://www.leevalley.com/us/gifts/page.aspx?p=68815&cat=

Chris Griggs
11-28-2011, 9:16 AM
I passed on the shoulder plane since I literally small bronze LN one arriving today (although it was quite tempting), but ordered the Little Vic first thing this morning. I've been looking for an excuse to buy that little guy!

Justin Chen
11-28-2011, 9:47 AM
Yeah it was perfect timing for this, I was eyeing that shoulder plane for a couple of weeks now and was waiting for free shipping. Now it would have been nice to get it at that price with free shipping but can't get everything you want on cyber Monday. :D

Zach England
11-28-2011, 9:50 AM
Does anyone actually use that little victor plane? It looks fun, but not necessarily useful.

I bought a cosmetic second plane from Lee Valley a few years ago and to this day cnanot tell what makes it a second.

Chris Griggs
11-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Does anyone actually use that little victor plane? It looks fun, but not necessarily useful.

I bought a cosmetic second plane from Lee Valley a few years ago and to this day cnanot tell what makes it a second.

Derek did a review (http://inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The Veritas LV Little Victor Block Plane.html) of it a while back as did the Schwarz - I figure I'll use it for little chamfering jobs and for VERY localized cleaup - say on the fronts of dividers and such. I've been a bit obsessed with small planes lately, although admittedly I may have gone a little too far with my small plane plane purchases - it suddenly occured to me that most my projects probably will not be as small as the one I've been working on the last few months. I'm really hoping that the little vic and the little LN infill shoulder plane I have coming turn out to be useful - starting to have some buyer remorse, I hate it when that happens. Maybe I should order the LV medium while its low cost and just send back my LN when it gets here. Although I'm guessing those LV mediums will be gone in a matter of hours, likely long before I make up my mind... Oh well, its a good problem to have!

Jack Curtis
11-28-2011, 11:38 AM
I passed on the shoulder plane since I literally small bronze LN one arriving today (although it was quite tempting), but ordered the Little Vic first thing this morning. I've been looking for an excuse to buy that little guy!

The LV is substantially smaller than even the old version of the LN. I use both of them all the time.

Jack

Chris Griggs
11-28-2011, 12:04 PM
The LV is substantially smaller than even the old version of the LN. I use both of them all the time.

Jack

I assume you are referring to the mini - the plane on sale is the medium shoulder plane - just an FYI. Also, what do you mean by "old version" of the ln?

Maurice Ungaro
11-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I love my LV Medium Shoulder plane. As for the Little Victor, I recently picked up a Stanley 101 (see my avatar), and they are about the same size. To assuage any doubts, yes, it is a useful little plane.

Don Dorn
11-28-2011, 1:25 PM
I was hoping more for free shipping. I have four things in my cart hoping that would be the case today - oh well. The rest of you get ready though - as soon as I order, there will be free shipping within the next few days.

Rob Lee
11-28-2011, 2:26 PM

Hi Zach,

One of things people miss when they look at a little Victor, is that it's held very differently from most smaller planes. It is a TWO handed plane!

Not how the sidewalls drop near the nose - this let's the user hook a thumb inside the body, and anchoring one's palm on the surface lets one drive the plane forward with tremendous force. The second hand (unfortunately - holding the camera) counters the force of the thumb with either a two fingered grip either side of the plane, or by hooking an index finger over the lip at the rear of the plane.

This grip affords great control for making very precise cuts.

It's a deceptively simple and elegant design!

Cheers -

Rob

Chris Griggs
11-28-2011, 2:34 PM
Hi Zach,

One of things people miss when they look at a little Victor, is that it's held very differently from most smaller planes. It is a TWO handed plane!

Rob

I believe Derek chamfered the sharp edges/corners at the top of the blade to make it more comfortable for one handed use. I'd like to attmept to use it as both a two-handed plane (as Rob showed) and one-handed plane - my plan to file the sharp corners off as Derek did and then go pick up some plasti-dip and and dip the very top edge of the blade in that. I believe ALF made a little wooden knob to fit on the top of the blade for hers.

Jack Curtis
11-28-2011, 4:12 PM
I assume you are referring to the mini - the plane on sale is the medium shoulder plane - just an FYI. Also, what do you mean by "old version" of the ln?

Thanks, yes, I was referring to the mini, my bad. The old version of the ln vs the new version of their small shoulder, 1/2".

Jack

daniel lane
11-28-2011, 4:20 PM
DOH!!!

I just last week ordered the miniature edge plane and the little Victor - they were even delivered Wednesday, so I got to play with them over the weekend. Still, I have no regrets - they are great looking tools, and I can't believe the sole on the LV^2 (Lee Valley Little Victor) plane. If it weren't so short, I'd be using it as a reference straightedge. :) I've had the LV medium shoulder plane for a while and have used it on I think every project I've completed in the last two years - love that one, too. Can't see how anyone could go wrong with any of these.

daniel

Ron Kellison
11-28-2011, 5:13 PM
Derek did a review (http://inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The Veritas LV Little Victor Block Plane.html) of it a while back as did the Schwarz - I figure I'll use it for little chamfering jobs and for VERY localized cleaup - say on the fronts of dividers and such. I've been a bit obsessed with small planes lately, although admittedly I may have gone a little too far with my small plane plane purchases - it suddenly occured to me that most my projects probably will not be as small as the one I've been working on the last few months. I'm really hoping that the little vic and the little LN infill shoulder plane I have coming turn out to be useful - starting to have some buyer remorse, I hate it when that happens. Maybe I should order the LV medium while its low cost and just send back my LN when it gets here. Although I'm guessing those LV mediums will be gone in a matter of hours, likely long before I make up my mind... Oh well, its a good problem to have!

The website still doesn't show the "Sold Out" badge so it should still be available. A GREAT price for an excellent plane. I've had one for a couple of years and can't imagine being without it.

Regards,

Ron