PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Router Input please...

Stan Smith
04-22-2003, 9:57 PM
I currently have 3 routers; a pc 693, a hitachi mv12 in the table, and a little ryobi trim router. Today I had a project where I had to hog off some stock that was already glued up. The pc was too big and the project was too big for the table. I ended up using the ryobi with a top bearing pattern bit with a pattern for control. It worked okay but the ryobi was laboring even with 3 passes. A router just a little bigger would be a big help for hardwood stock small jobs. I am considering the pc 100 or makita 3606. I would like to get a reconditioned one if possible. Any recommendations or source info would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Tony Sade
04-23-2003, 6:07 AM
Stan-I'd take a look at the PC 310. It's sold as a "production" laminate trimmer, but it's really a mini PC 690. Plenty of power in a compact size. I love mine. Most online tool dealers sell them; I'm not sure about reconditioned models. You might try Tool King. HTH, Tony

Keith Outten
04-23-2003, 6:07 AM
Stan,

I swear by Bosch routers, I use the model 1617 for hand held work and occasionaly in a table. The 1617 is a 1 3/4 HP router and has the best HP to weight ratio of any router in its class according to Bosch. I feel comfortable using the 1 3/4 HP machine for triming formica when my trim router is being used by someone else.

My main router for big jobs and most of the table work is a 3 HP Bosch plunge router, very heavy but a proven workhorse in my shop. The people at Bosch provide great support for their product line and even have a rebuild service. Most of my close friends have also used Bosch routers, David Johnson has replaced the bearings in one of his 1 3/4 HP routers many times...David does a lot of pattern routing production type work. One of my Bosch 1617's has been used to pattern route large oval access holes and shelf splinesfor over 450 plywood cabinets and it's still like new. The first Bosch router I ever purchased is still being used every day, I can't even imagine how many miles/hours it has been used.

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-23-2003, 7:42 AM
I've got a Bosch midsize that's used exclusively for scooping chair seats (with a jig). I suspect I've done close to 200 of them over the past three years...and each seat requires 30-40 (can't remember how many) on-off cycles and each cut is somewhere around 1/2" deep. I don't know how many cycles these units are 'designed' for, but I suspect my useage would be considered 'hard'. My experience with PC routers, and lately PC anything is that I would've certainly killed the switch by now, if not the motor.

KC

Stan Smith
04-23-2003, 3:41 PM
I decided to go with Tony's suggestion on the pc 310. Probably because I like my 693 so well. It has stood up over the years with some abuse from me. I have never tried a bosch router, but I have some other bosch tools with no complaints.

Tony, I also ordered the inca t-rule, a 6" pro model. I thought it was a little pricey ($21.95), but I'm sure that it's a lot more accurate than what I'm currently using. I wanted a t-rule of some type anyway but have been putting off buying one for a lot of years. Also, Tony, you live in a beautiful state which I understand some refer to as West "By God" Virginia.

Thanks again, Stan

Chris Teenor
04-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Now that you've made your choice of the PC 310, you may want to get in touch with Pat Warner (Routerman) and see what he offers in the way of accessories for this little router. I've got the same one and have purchased auxillary bases from Pat that make it a true "little router".

Also, this company offers a plunge base for this router which really adds some versatility.

http://www.bishop@bishopcochran.com

[No affiliation, etc.]

Tony Sade
04-24-2003, 6:09 AM
I think you'll be happy with both purchases, Stan. I agree with Chris's suggestion to contact Pat Warner and get an offset base for the 310-great guy who's real helpful. That Bishop Cochran stuff is real pricey, though-$250 for a laminate trimmer base for the PC.

Yeah, WV is gorgeous in spots-just gotta stay away from the areas where the coal companies and their mountaintop removal techniques have turned large chunks of land into moonscape. Take care, Tony

Stan Smith
04-24-2003, 10:48 AM
I have an offset base for my 693 but I find that I don't use it very often. Of course when you need it, it's a must. I'm sure that I won't be spending $250 for a router base, but I'll check out the site anyway. Thanks again.

Stan