PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Platter I really like!

Kathy Marshall
11-27-2011, 11:14 PM
This is from the other half of the large Sisso log that I turned the salad bowl from yesterday. This blank was a little narrower so I could have turned a shallow bowl, but decided to do a platter instead.
I originally thought I might include this as a bonus with the salad bowl set, but once I got it finished I decided it will probably go to my mom for Christmas.
I've done some platters before, but none that I've really, really liked. They were ok and for the most part, I liked them, but they were not favorite pieces by any means. Don't know what it is about platters that makes them so hard for me to get right, but I think I got it right with this one.
The pics don't do this piece justice (I think I would have gotten better pics out in the shop with my cell phone).
11" x 1 1/2" with a coat of walnut oil.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Roger Chandler
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Yep...........I think you got this one right also, Kathy! Very nice..............that sissoo just has such great grain patterns. My thinking is that if it was turned wet, it will likely warp a little at least.........that has been my experience with platters.

Joe Watson
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
That does look good. The beads look nice, but theres just something about the little recess in the middle that "makes" it for me.

Hayes Rutherford
11-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Kathy, that looks like a great platter with nice rim detail that leads you to the center. I wouldn't think it needs the center recess, when my eyes get to that point I just want to see that awesome wood!! I'm sure your mom will like it for Christmas, I know I would.

John Keeton
11-28-2011, 6:38 AM
Excellent work - very nice rim, and that little recess will be perfect for setting a small dish of dip/salsa. I think you nailed it!

Robert McGowen
11-28-2011, 9:04 AM
That really stands out, Kathy. Nice work!

charlie knighton
11-28-2011, 10:09 AM
lucky Mom, very nice

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Beautiful platter Kathy. That is just some beautiful wood. Your mom is going to love it.

Prashun Patel
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
I love the details on this. Bookmarked!

One question: how dry was this when you turned it? My experience with platters - especially those turned close to the edge - is that they warp on me a good deal. How did you (or do you plan to) avoid that?

David DeCristoforo
11-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Easy to see why you like this! The orientation of the wood grain is excellent as are the details.

Sid Matheny
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I see why you really like it! Great job.

Sid

Ed Morgano
11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I love it Kathy. That will inspire me to try one. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Bergstrom
11-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow that is some contrast. I really like what you did with the rim, nice bead work. Keep them coming, I enjoy seeing all the pieces you make.

Dan Forman
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Yup, that's a winner! Like the treatment of the rim portion, and of course the wood is fabulous.

Dan

Bill Bolen
11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
And a beautiful platter it is too! Love the rim work and the little "saucer holder" indentation in the center. Mom is gonna love it and be impressed with how far "baby girl" has come in such a short time. Well Done...

Don Alexander
11-28-2011, 3:16 PM
i like the platter almost as much as i like the salad bowl you posted earlier that is one great looking piece of wood and your work on both pieces is top notch as always

Jamie Donaldson
11-28-2011, 3:21 PM
An excellent platter for sure, and I suggest that you place it in a brown paper bag, face down on a flat surface, and add some weight on top to resist the possible tendancy to curl. With this grain orientation, there is a tendancy to curl up on the sides near the sapwood, and the weight will help fight that potential.

Baxter Smith
11-28-2011, 8:34 PM
Great looking platter Kathy! Well worth the effort of taking the time to try and keep it flat.

Kathy Marshall
11-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone!

I love the details on this. Bookmarked!

One question: how dry was this when you turned it? My experience with platters - especially those turned close to the edge - is that they warp on me a good deal. How did you (or do you plan to) avoid that?
This was very wet when turned. Sissoo if fairly stable, if I did nothing more it would move some but nothing extreme, but I'll bag this one for a few weeks and hopefully end up with very little or no warping.

Curt Fuller
11-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Kathy, you come up with some of the prettiest wood! That's a beauty!

robert baccus
11-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Great platter and striking wood. care to share the source with your friends?

Kathy Marshall
11-29-2011, 2:05 AM
Great platter and striking wood. care to share the source with your friends?
I get it from my tree trimmer friends. It's widely grown around here as a landscape/street tree. I would guess it would be grown anywhere with warm/hot summers and mild winters (it will recover from a light freeze). Looks a little similar to a cottonwood.

Michelle Rich
11-29-2011, 6:47 AM
mom will be pleased, not only about the platter, but that she has a talented daughter.

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Excellent work Kathy! Beautiful wood and just enough detail work to add character. Your Mom is going to love this!!

Cathy Schaewe
11-29-2011, 1:30 PM
I really, really like the way this turned out -

Dick Strauss
11-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Kathy,
Really nicely done. I like so much about this piece. That wood grain and contrast is super the way you mounted the piece. I especially like is the way the darker grain peeks out from behind the lighter grain on the foot. You definitely showcased that wood very well with all of your talents!

Doug W Swanson
11-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Nice platter Kathy. I can't wait to turn some of that Sissoo that you gave me!