PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Antique Furniture Identification.

Kev Godwin
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Can any of the Creek members here offer me some advice on any websites or forums where I can get assistance on identifying some antique furniture?
Thanks in advance.
Kev

Jim Rimmer
11-28-2011, 8:49 PM
I've found pretty good sites in the past by Googling the particular style, like Mission or Arts & Crafts. You'll probably find links to other sites. Just pick a style and see where the links lead.

Bill Bukovec
11-28-2011, 9:26 PM
Can you post some pictures?

Shawn Pixley
11-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Your question is a bit overly broad. Websites or people that are expert in one style of antique are seldom expert in other styles or geographies. Could you be more descriptive or post pictures?

Kev Godwin
11-30-2011, 3:57 PM
Perhaps my question "is a bit overly broad" because I don't know what to ask, therefore the question. Just looking for some direction to start looking or advice on where to go look.

I'm trying to post a photo. This is my 5th try.... Thx.
Kev

Greg Portland
11-30-2011, 4:36 PM
Kev, a picture of the underside and closeup of any joinery or hardware details would be helpful...

Shawn Pixley
11-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks. The photo is helpful. I'm not an expert in this era of furniture, but it looks to me like a late twenties, early thirties middle american hall table. I can't tell, but is the apron turned or pressed? Is the wood pine, mahogany, maple or walnut?

Kev Godwin
11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
All pieces are mahogany and no pieces are pressed. The top is about 24 inches wide and 52 inches long. The top is jointed together with 2 pieces at 12 inches each.

This table was in my late grandmother's house in the late 1920's but we have no older relatives that can say anything about it before that time. I will be moving more furniture in my mother's house this weekend. I'll see if I can find any more details.
Kev

Jim Rimmer
12-01-2011, 2:10 PM
I did a lot of searching and what I have come up with is that it appears to be sort of an Empire style. There are other styles with fluted legs but the flutes don't spiral. Some sites suggested Federal style with fluted legs but what I have seen of Federal is not that heavy or ornate. Empire style has a lot of variations and permutations but if someone asked me, that's the answer I would give. Remember, this opinion is worth what you paid for it. :)

Shawn Pixley
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Jim,I think I disagree with you. To me it looks like more of a moorish revival style. While this is primarily from the second half of the 19th century, styles tened to hang on later in middle America. The carved frieze and the reverse spiral legs are the things that take me to that style rather than second empire style. (Though to be fair, second empire and moorish revival are closely related.)While the furniture of 1900 to 1920 is largely arts and crafts there are many example of empire, moorish revival and edwardian inspired furniture produced in middle america well after arts and crafts was the prominant style on the coasts. While I know a lot more about queen anne, victorian, and eastlake furniture, I have worked on a lot of antique furniture when I lived in the midwest. One thing you may look for underneath is, is there a corner brace on the aprons? If so, is there a carriage bolt fastener with the corner brace? That can help date the piece.

Jim Rimmer
12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Shawn, I will certainly defer to your opinion. :) I was guessing based on Google searches. Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience.

Myk Rian
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Looks similar style to a Chippendale table we have.

Shawn Pixley
12-02-2011, 11:26 PM
While I claim no particular expertise on english furniture, I have never heard of a chippendale piece like this. The patterns in his book,"Director" were neoclassical, roccoco, georgian and gothic revival tracery. I have never heard of a piece like this as chippendale. To me, this piece doesn't look like an 18th century piece.