PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Mortising Machine Question

Bryan Cramer
11-27-2011, 1:00 PM
I was reading a review of bench top mortising machines and the article kept referring to a break-in period that was needed for the machine to reach it's full potential. Can somebody explain this?

Thanks

Joe Spear
11-27-2011, 8:17 PM
I don't know about the machine, but I know that I, as an inexperienced mortising machine operator, needed a break-in period. There is a learning curve to any machine, but I don't understand why the mortiser itself would need a break-in period. I just used mine today for the first time in months, and even with the lay-off, it seemed a lot easier to use than it did several years ago when I first got it. Now I know better how to set the x-y vise that I added to it. And I polished up the chisel with a set of diamond cones on the inside and a diamond sharpening paddle on the outside. so it cut with very little pressure.

Mike Cutler
11-28-2011, 6:30 AM
The only break in period my Delta 14-651 needed was for me to sharpen the bit and hone the chisels. It squealed like a bad bearing initially.
The bed can be a little rough, and an old stone could knock the tops off the grind pattern, but it wasn't a big deal.

David Hostetler
11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Not sure about any break in period... Sounds like hogwash to me.

Now a break in period for the operator, that's a different story all together! I can sure see that...