PDA

View Full Version : Dag Nab It!!!! Enough is Enough!!!! Help!

Dick Wilson
11-27-2011, 12:07 PM
I am kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I have been in a major league brain fart:mad:. I have been stewing over this piece for better than two weeks....trying to figure out what I want to do for a top. I have woken up two nights in a row over this. Enough is enough. Suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!

This is a piece of Box Elder that I got in the wood swap with Paul Merrill a few weeks ago. The piece has 1/4" walls with carved brick putten on the top. I do not want to do a Drozda type finial. The hole is 1 7/8". Because the top is a gradual curve to the rim I am thinking some type of top that is more parallel to the top.

I have seen tops with branches, wire, porcupine quills, stones, on and on. I have made a dozen tops and they look OK. My downfall is that I am going to keep trying until I can say (That is the look I want!!).

PS - I designed this piece and it great on paper. Once I had it all together I didn't particularly like it.214008
Thanks for any help!!!

John Keeton
11-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Dick, is the diameter just under 5"? It appears to be about right. What about a walnut finial base with a cove that comes off the form at the same slope as the top. That would pick up on the brown in the form. Then do a small replica of the form to sit on the cove base. From that, you could do one of many varieties of spires coming off the form - probably again in walnut to pick up the brown. Just some thoughts.

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2011, 1:10 PM
I agree with the idea of a cove that mirrors the angle of the top but then I would find a way to duplicate your brick pattern to pull the elements toegther. Finial does not have to be a Cindy special. I would play with an offset variation of a finial with a wider top than most.

Dick Wilson
11-27-2011, 1:28 PM
Dick, is the diameter just under 5"? It appears to be about right. What about a walnut finial base with a cove that comes off the form at the same slope as the top. That would pick up on the brown in the form. Then do a small replica of the form to sit on the cove base. From that, you could do one of many varieties of spires coming off the form - probably again in walnut to pick up the brown. Just some thoughts. Hi John, It is approx 4" high x 6-7" wide. I have considered using walnut to pick up the browns that outline the reds. I am drawing carved pieces for the top. Thanks

Dick Wilson
11-27-2011, 1:30 PM
I agree with the idea of a cove that mirrors the angle of the top but then I would find a way to duplicate your brick pattern to pull the elements toegther. Finial does not have to be a Cindy special. I would play with an offset variation of a finial with a wider top than most. Interesting. I'll think about it. Thanks Steve.

Reed Gray
11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Ummm, I don't do too many hollow forms, but, to me, it doesn't need a finial. Looks great just the way it is.

robo hippy

Paul Merrill
11-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Dick, it's nice to see something actually turned from that old box elder tree. I played around with a couple of pieces, but have been struggling with my tool presentation techniques. I've been getting some nasty catches. Between a major remodeling project, deer season, and two more box elders falling into the neighbors yard, I haven't had any time to take advantage of offers from Steve Schlumpf, and Norm Hefke,for some turning lessons. Looking forward to seeing your project completed.

Dan Hintz
11-28-2011, 6:57 AM
'Twere it me (and I suggest this because I was thinking of doing something similar myself), I would consider adding the multi-point tip of a deer antler. The piece should have at least two, if not three, tips on it, as thin as possible, maybe 1-1.5" high.

If you want to match the red in the bowl a bit, try more for Elk than deer.

Bob Rotche
11-28-2011, 7:09 AM
I really like this form, Dick, and would love to see a pic of your top carvings. I think there are many options for an attractive topper but I agree with you that something with a more horizontal movement or more knob like might work well. This form seems to call for something more substantial than delicate so it sounds like your ideas are right on track. Look forward to seeing what you finally decide.

John Keeton
11-28-2011, 8:05 AM
...I would consider adding the multi-point tip of a deer antler. The piece should have at least two, if not three, tips on it, as thin as possible, maybe 1-1.5" high.

If you want to match the red in the bowl a bit, try more for Elk than deer.Dan, it is unlikely one could find a multi-tip antler in that length. The typical rack structure just doesn't grow like that. There are "non-typical" racks with some bizarre formations, but finding one that would fit that description would be rare - Elk would be even more rare because of the massive size of the rack.

Dick Wilson
11-28-2011, 1:40 PM
Dick, is the diameter just under 5"? It appears to be about right. What about a walnut finial base with a cove that comes off the form at the same slope as the top. That would pick up on the brown in the form. Then do a small replica of the form to sit on the cove base. From that, you could do one of many varieties of spires coming off the form - probably again in walnut to pick up the brown. Just some thoughts.

John, I may have figured out what to do!!!!!! I had to go to Michael's craft store this morning and while walking down an isle looking for what I was after I heard these funny looking sticks calling my name. Some type of twisty bamboo. Hmmmm. My thought was "this might be the ticket". We will see:D:D.

Moses Weisberg
11-28-2011, 4:13 PM
How about something like tulipwood to pick up the pink in the boxelder? The pieces I've used have some darker streaks in them as well that complement the darker colors around the top.

John Keeton
11-28-2011, 4:17 PM
JSome type of twisty bamboo.Dick, I like that idea!!! Perhaps inserted in a walnut lid for contrast and color????