PDA

View Full Version : Etching Picture on Mirror?

Ed Valasek
11-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for lasering etching a picture onto a Mirror? Any guides around for learning? I am looking for advice on DPI recommendations for the photo, Speed, Power etc. I tried one and it came out so so.... The detail was not as good as I would have expected. Maybe I am expecting too much but I have seen some really cool things done on mirrors with a laser. I am new to all this and learning...... I have Photograv as well but it doesn't really have an option for mirrors but I was thinking maybe the glass setting would be what I would want to use.

My machine is a 30 Watt Accuris ILS-3NM Powersharp 12.

Thanks!
Ed

Duane Parcells
11-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Ed

I've done my fair share. I went back and found an old post that may help.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?104278-Mirror&p=1079365&highlight=#post1079365

D (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?104278-Mirror&p=1079365&highlight=#post1079365)uane

Ed Valasek
11-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Duane!

Nice to meet you..... Thanks for the link to that thread. I am reading through it and going to run some tests on some scrap mirror I have laying around. Trying to find a good picture to use. I guess I need to just run some tests and see the best results I get. That thread is helpful..... Thanks again!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed

Niklas Bjornestal
11-29-2011, 3:51 PM
Speed and power depends on the mirror, i have had mirrors that i can run at 100sp/100p without problem (25W mercury II) while on others i have to reduce speed to maybe 20. I use 200-250 dpi for photos and 500 dpi for text.

Jeff Belany
11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
One thing I have found -- quality of coatings on 12x12 mirror tiles varies. I assume it is the thickness of the coating so once in a while I get a mirror that will have an area that just won't engrave, even if I laser it twice or add more power. Luckily it doesn't happen too often.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Ed Valasek
12-05-2011, 6:54 PM
Sounds like experimentation is in order.... I have seen several posts and trying to sort through all the info. Some claim to run 600 DPI with 100% Power and speed on 30 Watt systems and other say you need to stick less than 250 DPI and run slower.

So far in my tests, I have had pretty decent results with using 250DPI, 100% power and 25% speed on my Accuris Powersharp 12 30 Watt system. Seems like I have some stirations in my photos though. I would like to improve it if I can.

I appreciate the tips and will give them all a try. I have definitely noticed that the quality of the mirror does make a difference as well.

Thanks again!

Ed

Mark Ross
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I have had much better luck with actual glass mirror (not acrylic or other plastic mirrors). I put a mixture of dish soap and water on the mirror (liquid but not all bubbly) to help keep the mirror cooler during lasering. By doing this I get a much better resolution and detail than I do when I just do the mirror by itself, but even the mirror by itself works out much better with glass than acrylic. I think this has something to do with using a bit too much power and melting the acrylic. The power settings on acrylic seem to be much more touchy and less forgibing than glass mirror.